Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

Any experience Mt. Lion hunters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

Any experience Mt. Lion hunters?

Does anybody here have any experience hunting mountain lions? I am planning on my first lion hunt in the Black Hills this Feb. It would be nice to see a forum dedicated to lion hunting, but I suppose it's not as big as the rest of the game world. Anyway, tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Any experience Mt. Lion hunters?

We get about a 1/2 dozen or so every year. I have a friend with good hounds. I would be looking for a houndsman to take me if you are so inclined.

Jeff

Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 AM
Silver Member

oooo sweet pic. I'll have to look up our state laws again. I don't remember if using hounds in SD is legal or not. but that would definitely make things easier. Every year I hear stories of people who were hunting and found out they were actually being followed the whole time.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

If hounds are an option, they would be my choice. A good Houndsman with good hounds is going to give you the best chance of filling your tag.

Other options are tracking and calling.
For tracking to be an option you need to be hunting an area that has some visibility and good snow. You basically try and cut fresh tracks and then track them out.
For calling an electronic caller where legal is your best bet. It gets the sound away from you so the cat has less chance of seeing you as you prepare to shoot. As to where to call, you can look for tracks if you have snow and use them as a guide. If you don't have snow, try and set up in areas where deer/elk are hanging out for the winter. When you set up try and cover the uphill side of your set up. Cats like to have the advantage of high ground and will often circle to gain that advantage. My general belief is that they don't play the wind like a smart coyote will. They just want to see what is going on before they charge in and find a bigger cat.
If you search around on here there have been several threads about cat hunting.
Look in the Coyote Hunting forum.

Last edited by orwapitihunter; 11-30-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Added where to find info.