Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

.243 for Whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

Re: .243 for Whitetail

Take a look at federal fusion ammo too.. It is great ammo. It's loaded with the speer deep curl bullet, and it works!!! They also offer the fusion ammo in reduced recoil loads which in your case maybe be better to practice with, then resight it in and load the regular stuff for hunting season. Just a thought.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Great deer rifle. Shot my first deer (and many others) with a .243 a loonnggg time ago. My mother shot deer with it and it was the only rifle my father shot for 30 plus years for anything from ground squirrels to mule deer. It was his go-to rifle and a don't recall ever seeing him shoot anything twice with it.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Here's a pic of the Savage I ordered. It arrived just this past week. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but that's okay because I've been taking the time to read the manuals. I think I'll get out to the range this week.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
.243 for Whitetail-savage-th.png  
Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

I bought a Remington 243 for my daughter several years ago. She killed deer with it just fine with the 100 gr Cor Lokt. I started reloading all the brass she had left with 100 gr Sierra Game Kings. They kill very well. I have taken deer with them out to 240 yards no problem. Nice exits with good blood trails. They really were not needed because furthest tracking has been 40 yards. I took a ffriends boy this past season on 2 juvenile hunts and he put down 2 does DRT. One at 75 and another at 135. I think that Savage is just a horrible looking rifle and I would be willing to take it off your hands to save you any embarrassment.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red hunter View Post
I think that Savage is just a horrible looking rifle and I would be willing to take it off your hands to save you any embarrassment.
Thanks Red. As much as I appreciate your offer, I think I'll just muddle through. It's my burden to bear!
Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

I use Hornady 100gr SPBT interlocks and they just pile up the deer and shoot half MOA in my Weatherby Vanguard. Great bullet to start and end with.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Thanks, Sendor. I've got some American Whitetail 100 gr from Hornady on order. I've also got some Remington Core-Lokt 100 gr and some Winchester Super X PP, also 100 gr. Here in VA I don't think I'm going to get a shot much further out than 100 yards, and I'm confident any of these bullets in the right place will be sufficient to drop a buck out these parts.
You are correct. I'ne taken quite a few with plain ol' Reminton and Hornady 100 gr. "cup and core" bullets and have never needed to shoot twice. I prefer my .30-06 and 150 gr. bullets but, fact is, it doesn't kill a bit faster or deader with a similar hit.

Tell her to put the vertical cross wire between the front legs and the horizontal wire half way down from the top of what she sees and shoot him from any angle or distance she needs; it will be a drop-dead deer inside fifty yards - about 3 seconds! Never tried a Texas heart shot but haven't needed to either.

Given that I've had a total right shoulder joint replacement since the last time I deer hunted I'll be going back to my old .243.