Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > How To Hunt Big Game

.243 for Whitetail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM

.243 for Whitetail

I went dormant on this forum for a while, but I have certainly been active out there in the real world.

Last December I finally got out and did some deer hunting. Call it beginner's luck, but I dropped a 180 pound buck and a doe on my first attempt at hunting. While processing the meat with me, my wife indicated she would like to join me next year.

After a lot of research, trial and error, we determined the .243 was the right gun for her. The recoil was just too much for her liking on both the .270 and .308. I figure if she is comfortable shooting the gun, she is more likely going to be able to become a proficient shooter with it. She has gone from novice to solid shooter with her S&W Model 60 in a pretty short time, so she understands fundamentals. I'm confident I can give her enough sound coaching to where she'll be able to use the gun effectively for its intended purpose.

Today I ordered the Savage 110 Trophy Hunter chambered in .243. I'm looking forward to getting her out on the range to get her intimately familiar with this gun. Even more I am looking forward to seeing her in action this fall. I has a huge moment for me last December to drop my first buck. I think the next best thing will be watching my wife drop hers!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: .243 for Whitetail

I shoot the 105 Amax in mine and its does a great job on a whitetail. Currently the 105 is out of production, but should return in the late spring. The Superformance powder works wonders in the 243.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Thanks, Sendor. I've got some American Whitetail 100 gr from Hornady on order. I've also got some Remington Core-Lokt 100 gr and some Winchester Super X PP, also 100 gr. Here in VA I don't think I'm going to get a shot much further out than 100 yards, and I'm confident any of these bullets in the right place will be sufficient to drop a buck out these parts.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Every gun is different without a doubt. But I would bet that the 100gr. core lokt is gonna be the ticket. I bought my mom a 243 and done a ton of research before I went ammo shopping. The 100gr core lokt is preferred by most from what I found. I tried it and was very impressed. Whatever remington's recipe for it works well if not great across the board. I have never liked a 243 until I bought one. Planning to build my wife (myself) an Ackley pretty soon. But we can keep that our secret. Happy hunting I am sure you both will enjoy it.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

I've got the 12 and 14 yr old boys shooting the 100 gr partition over Re-22 out of their .243. It's worked like a dream out to 265 yds so far. I've got some of the 105 Amax to try but not sure if they'll stabilize out of a factory Savage barrel.

Chris
Old 03-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

My opinion is simple. If your wife will be shooting within a 200 yard range only, I think any decent factory ammo will do the trick. If she will be trying longer distances, then test various brands or reload
I shoot a remington 700 in 243 win. I reload for it. It's a fun rifle. It shoots consistently .6 moa up to 750 yards. Of course I don't shoot deer that far with this rifle but it is accurate.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Silver Member

Savage 243 is the only rifle I done reload for. Only because I cant do better than the Winchester95 combined tech bullets. Savage axis no work done I can consistently put five shots down and cover them with a nickel at 100 yards. But like everyone says by a box of each mine liked hornady superformance almost as much. Quarter sized groups. Both bullets drop deer and pigs with ease thenosler just shot better.