Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

Seattle gun buy back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Seattle gun buy back

The Seattle gun buy back was well attended, and turned into a little gun show as dealers and citizens showed up and purchased many of the firearms. Police did manage to get their quota.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Seattle gun buy back

Wait what!!?? Ok I don't know squat about gun buy back programs, but regular folks where able to go there and buy guns? At a POPO buy back location?
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Seattle-King County Gun Safety Initiative

Above is the explanation. There were some private citizens just a few feet away that were offering cash for folks guns. The buy back program was offering Amazon gift cards, as I recall. So, cash was perhaps a greater incentive. As long as the seller asks the buyer if he's not a felon, my understanding is that the sale is legal. Private sales are legal and should remain so.

amazon.com's Jeff Bezos is using his money and clout to help effect left leaning politics in this state. He money is backing a portion of this buyback program. I avoid amazon.com after Bezos politics became public over the last few months.

To be fair, there does appear to be some gun education and safety initiatives in this program.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Gentlemen,

Those of you from Washington State need to get behind this bill and call your representatives and senator in your Washington state legislature.

HB1371--The Washington State Firearms Freedom Act of 2013: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/1371.pdf

One of my state representatives, Jason Overstreet, is sponsoring this bill.

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting the link jmden learning to do that is on my to do list. Almost put it in the humor section as it cracked me up. Plus side stolen firearms have to be returned to their rightful owners. My recollection is when LA did a buy back, with the stated purpose of melting for a JFK statue, the better stuff found new homes.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Gentlemen,

Those of you from Washington State need to get behind this bill and call your representatives and senator in your Washington state legislature.

HB1371--The Washington State Firearms Freedom Act of 2013: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/1371.pdf

One of my state representatives, Jason Overstreet, is sponsoring this bill.

Jon
Will do, Thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a link to make it simple for you Washington guys to contact your state legislators:

http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

Once there, click on the map where you live or enter your address. Your state legislators should appear. Click on one of them. This should take you to their website. There should be a fairly obvious 'Email' link. Click on that link and enter your information. Hit next and this should take you to a page where you can actually compose an email to your legislator. There are several sections on this page. In the 'Response' section you can click two boxes. Clicking the bottom box will send your email to all three of your legislators so that you don't have to individually email each legislator. Not too bad to do really.

Alternatively, the NRA-ILA website makes this pretty simple as well. In fact, it may be easier: NRA-ILA | Write Your Reps At the above link, enter your zip code and all of your US and state elected officials that you vote for will pop up. You can select one of your state legislators, which will take you to a link where you can hit 'Email' as in the above paragraph and then got through the same process described above from 'Email' on.

If you have the time, email the entire state legislature and Gov. Inslee on HB1371.