Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

A must read, by one of our LRH members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: A must read, by one of our LRH members

Joe, thanks for that link. It is now printed and in a visible place.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting Jim, I'd like to add some words here too if you dont mind.

Historically, over the years, there seem to be a fair number of us hunters who say..........That will never happen, it doesn't really affect me as a hunter anyway. They will never ban hunting guns, ect.
Well, it's probably time we as a group realize that is not the case.

With the looming gun and magazine ban talks/debates coming very soon and the UN treaty talks of disarmament and import/export regulations/changes, it's hard to say what is going to happen in the near future. But we can be assured; it's most likely going to mean the things we hunters and competition shooters use often will also become very hard to get here in the near future.

Primers and Powder??

Some might remember the Clinton era and the passage of the "Crime Bill". If you do remember, primers were nearly impossible to find on the shelves after that, and it lasted many many months, if not a couple of years. Ammo (especially for handguns) along with any kind of semi-auto was hard to find in 2009 and continued into 2010, just because of an election.

Prices on some of the things we use ALOT have done nothing but skyrocket since 1994 and will continue to do so. As for powder, well a very large amount of it is imported.........back to the UN treaty that the NRA has been warning us about for many years. If you dont remember, powder got very tough to get for a while also after the "crime bill" was enacted.

Speaking of imported goods, how about brass??

How many of us hunters and competition shooters use a cartridge that uses imported brass, Lapua or Norma for example?? Some of that is already bocoming much harder to get and there haven't even been any official policy changes yet! When they start limiting or banning imports, what are we gonna do then??

We as hunters and competitors need to be coming together and making our voices heard. All the anti-gun folks are making sure their voices are heard, you can bank on that! Even some people who have always been on the fence with gun control issues are joining the anti-gun rallies after the most recent mass murder in Connecticut. Alot of parents who have never picked a side are beginning to lean toward the other side........the side of disarmament.

If there ever was a time to speak up for our rights and our professions, our hobbies and interests, our way of life............................now is it!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

I agree 100%
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peashooter View Post
I believe we have the answers in front of us, but we are too enlightened as a society to look to an ancient book.

You must mean the BIBLE ? If so It is the wisest answer that I have seen!

Coy , I agree with most of your write up but not all.
I didnt agree with what the writer said when he made mention of the video games and rock music.
The video games of yesterday didnt have action heros ripping heads off and hearts out or blasting away at the cops and then speeding off. you may say what do you mean well these games have been ran through the minds of Americas children and now they are starting to come to young adult age and we are seeing the monsters that WE have created , yes mom and dad has set back and let little jimmy's brain get programmed by these violent video games and now we see the results . Parents have lost the ability to say no to their kids when they need to say NO your not watching that , your not allowed to run with the popular crowd . Just because everyone is doing it doesnt mean its right. These video games and horrer movies have taught the youth to be numb to life . The proof is in this young mans actions he killed his own mother ! Killed little precious children , teachers ,women .

If you believe the bible at all then you can see in this verse were it warns about violent video games and movies in this short but to the point verse . If we would all ask ourselves this question " is it wicked" before we viewed it then we would be better off .

Psalms 101 verse 3

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes:

God knew that there is a danger in what we see thats why he gave us this verse but we know better than God and we want give ear to him .

II Timothy Chapter 2 Verse 19
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity .

God said depart from iniquity and rock music is iniquity !

Todays youth (not all) but this young man was taught and I would just about bet the house he indulged on violent video games and or horror movies .

End result he was a cold blooded killer that had no value on his mothers life, his life and the victims lifes . Neither did he have any respect for authority..

My personal opinion is this behaviour startes at the home but could be avoided if we the parents would raise our children to fear God but we must set the example before our children . Too many christians playing church but not living church monday thru sunday on the job and off the job. I'm afraid the blame is on us. Not exactly what folks want to hear.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

Excellent post. We are congruent on the matter.

It is unimaginable to fathom that our government can tell us not to defend our god given right to life. We only get one, I would say it is pretty important!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

I am in agreement that kids today should be shielded from certain video games and movies and music.............we were as kids.
I'm also in agreement that God should be brought back into the lives of our children.

The real issue here that the politicians dont want to talk about is the moral fiber of people today. Where are the virtues and values, where are the morals and ethics of yesterday? Where is God?..........God has been ushered out the door in the name of political correctness!

Since I am not politically correct, I'll say this: It's probably also time our schools become safer. No one can gaurantee that another lunatic wont attempt another mass murder. We dont want to hear about or see another Sandy Hook.

It's time that security measures are implemented into our schools. If that means giving teachers and principals the ability to excercise their right to concealed carry, then so be it. They should be professionally trained and certified for the context of the environment and possible situations, but it should be allowed IMO. Armed proffesional security or body gaurds is another option, but that will cost tax payers more. Given a choice, I'd send my kids to an armed and trained school before sending them to an unarmed school after this most recent tragedy. This option isn't even being talked about in Washington, but it's been in place in some communities for a while now.

Washington wants this:
This morning, Barack Obama held a press conference confirming our greatest fears...

He's launching an all out campaign to pass comprehensive gun control:

1. A so-called "Assault Weapons" Ban,

2. A "High-Capacity" Magazine Ban, and

3. A ban on ALL Private Firearms Sales without government permission.

And he wants the legislation on his desk as early as January.

If you haven't signed your Second Amendment Protection Petition that Dudley sent to you below, please do so right away.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

The government cannot legislate morality. A change in our moral fiber is what it takes to stop the senseless acts. They are looking for something or someone to blame besides ourselves. So the government has decided guns are the reason for the acts of violence. They believe remove the guns and the problem will be solved. The root of the problem is a loss of respect for the sanctity of life, the importance of a two parent loving environment for the rearing of children, compassion for our "neighbors", and the importance of ten simple rules and applying them to our daily lives. God bless America but more important is for America to Bless God.

Last edited by peashooter; 12-20-2012 at 05:40 AM. Reason: reword