Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

Gun Laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

Gun Laws

We who live in Washington state are facing an initiative , 594, which is so unbelievably unrealistic and damaging to our constitution that I have trouble believing that this could happen in this country. It is 18 pages of rules and regulations regarding ownership and primarily transfer of firearms by private citizens. Background checks will be required for all gun sales, and you have to go to a dealer to have them call for the background check, and they are allowed to charge whatever fee they wish to do this for you. Guns cannot be loaned. If your best buddy wants to try out your rifle on a hunt, even if he is hunting with you, you are both in violation of the law, subject to a fine and jail term, and the gun will be confiscated without compensation. If you buy a new rifle and take it out in your front yard to show it to your neighbor, and you hand the gun to him to look at, you are both in violation of the law and subject to fines and prison terms and the gun will be confiscated without any compensation. Both of these examples constitute a transference of ownership even though no money changes hands and the "transference" may last about five minutes. Other people may not sight in your gun for you at the range. There are 18 pages of rules that are just this ridiculous. I knew this was going to be bad, but I got a chance to read the whole initiative earlier this week, and had to sit down in utter disbelief. This legislation now leads in the polls by 70%, so it is going to pass. Our only hope is initiative 591, which essentially cancels out everything in 594, Oddly enough, it shows to also be winning. I am not sure how this works. I do know that gun ownership in Washington is about to change forever. After reading the text, I am not sure there is a legal way to own a gun here, and there sure isn't a legal way to sell one. I f you live here, I am sure you will not vote for this; I am pounding facebook to death with facts the anti supporters conveniently leave out, like the two most powerful law enforcement agencies in WA have come out against this legislation, but no one is listening. If you have relatives here, call them and see if you can exert some influence. Thanks.

My apologies if I put this in the wrong place...it really did not fit anywhere.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

Re: Gun Laws

According to a recent news article (Bill Gates and his wife give $1 million to gun control push | WHNT.com) lots of very wealthy folks, including Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, have contributed at least a total of 5.8 million dollars to Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility. Makes those of us in California, who often feel like we're the gun control whipping boy for the rest of the world, feel like we have a brotherhood with you up there in the north. If it's money that's going to win the fight - which it appears is the focal point of all those who contribute to anit-gun campaigns - then you'd probably have better luck in gaining support by contributing to those organizations who support or position. NRA, NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund, and any other legitimate group you'd care to support. There is a lot of money behind the anti-gunners ....

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

So goes California, so goes the Nation.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

You are right. All the big money in WA is behind this. But our real threat is ignorance. This initiative is so radical, that any sane citizen who reads it will not vote for it. The problem is that it is 18 pages long, and the ignorant anti-gunners are just listening to the people who are saying that this will reduce crime and that is all they hear, all they want to hear, and all they will base their vote on. Really, how could any rational human being want to fine, send to jail and confiscate a new gun from someone who is just showing it to his neighbors? But all the anti's that vote for this will not even know that language is in there. The NRA is already getting involved, and we do have the chance that 591 will also pass, completely negating 594. 594 has a current 70% approval, 591 has only a 55% approval. But we have a long ways to go, and we have a lot of support from law enforcement organizations including Washington state sheriffs. It is slim, but we have a little hope.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Oregonians are watching this. Now days it's kinda like so goes WA so goes OR...

This bill is just like the anti-hunters with the no dogs/bait for bear and cougar and a wolf in every backyard. They pick a state, pool the money, and make it happen. They are slowly chipping away.

They are killing a noble way of life that our ancestors have used for many thousands of years to put food on the table. My heart is somehow kind of drawn to it and I feel that it is a humans biological right to be able to hunt if it chooses. Tell it like that and they might just put us on the same pedestal as the wolf and allow us to go on our way.

Anyway back to the bill... You are right it is not about keeping people safe and keeping guns away from criminals. It is just another chip toward the ultimate goal of confiscation, removing the 2nd amendment, and making America a gunless society.
All anyone has to do is look at a society like Swedens and they can see, it's not the guns, it's the society and America's is just incredibly screwed up.

OP - I think you can ask the Admin to move this thread to the political forum.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Gold Member

Just saw where Bloomberg put his 1 million on the WA initiative, Maybe he should save his money and buy the white house. That's the whole problem with this country the rich own it now and make the laws. Oddly enough, that is the hallmark of a third world country (which the USA is fast becoming). A concentration of wealth with the masses having no real influence.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

We can complain here all we want and it won't win the battle. Gather a bunch of friends and spend some time on the street with a copy of the initiative in hand and be prepared to explain every detail of it.
Get some money behind advertising that exposes the core of the proposed legislation without name calling and grandstanding. Advertising that simply states the facts and encourages the voter to read the proposed law.
People may be lazy, but they're not stupid. Tell them where to look for themselves. The informed voter is the best tool you have in this fight. Sitting on our hands and whining about how unfair all of it is assures that the fight will be lost.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.