Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)


Reply

Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 560
Re: Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I think that this thinking might be flawed. I live in the Northeast because of my employment circumstances and absolutely despise the politics of these liberal, asshole politicians that don't know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of. Savage resides in Massachusetts which has gun laws that aren't a whole lot different from NY and the politicians are trying to expand the laws to be similar or worse then NY. Are we going to boycott Savage if they choose to stay or sell to the government? It's one thing for a company the size of Magpul to pull up and move to another state, but it will likely bankrupt a company the size of Remington or Savage, or Colt to pull up roots and move everything to another state. What about the employee's skill's and retraining, or relocation?. Building a new plant, moving equipment etc.ect. What if Remington decided to move to Colorado 20 years ago because of NY politics? Who would of thought the rats would have infected their political system. If you think your state is immune, think twice. Boycotting Remington does not seem like the way to fight this disease. They, and other companies based in enemy territory may be an important ally and prove useful. If the government wants to strengthen them with 80M, that might not be bad. What if they went to AI for the sniper rifles because no American based company would sell them? Liberals would love it if we boycott Remington. It gives them control. Divide and conquer! Instead of wasting our energy on this we need to place it where it matters or we will continue to loose this war on our rights. Only 5% of 60+ million gun owners belong to the NRA or other lobby group. If 25% belonged, we would even be talking about this! iMHO.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking myself. My gut tells me that the company size, location and bottom line of remingtons balance sheet may not allow them the luxury of packing up and leaving town like some of these other smaller ar-15/tactical based companies buoyed with 2 yrs worth of backorders.. My guess is that they desperatetly need the $ and financial stability. At the end of the day they are a company that seeks a profit. Having said that they definitely need to clean house in management and completely re design their business model.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 325
Re: Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

I have a pile of Remington products, starting with a nylon 66 from back in the 70's. At this point, I'm done. The United Mine Workers have (Remington workers) have consistently supported the people who are stripping me of my rights. That, coupled with the NY gun laws, and I'm done.

My next rifle will be a custom, probably based on a Stiller action of some sort.
__________________
If you like your hunting rifle, you can keep your hunting rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 276
Re: Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
i think that this thinking might be flawed. I live in the northeast because of my employment circumstances and absolutely despise the politics of these liberal, asshole politicians that don't know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of. Savage resides in massachusetts which has gun laws that aren't a whole lot different from ny and the politicians are trying to expand the laws to be similar or worse then ny. Are we going to boycott savage if they choose to stay or sell to the government? It's one thing for a company the size of magpul to pull up and move to another state, but it will likely bankrupt a company the size of remington or savage, or colt to pull up roots and move everything to another state. What about the employee's skill's and retraining, or relocation?. Building a new plant, moving equipment etc.ect. What if remington decided to move to colorado 20 years ago because of ny politics? Who would of thought the rats would have infected their political system. If you think your state is immune, think twice. Boycotting remington does not seem like the way to fight this disease. They, and other companies based in enemy territory may be an important ally and prove useful. If the government wants to strengthen them with 80m, that might not be bad. What if they went to ai for the sniper rifles because no american based company would sell them? Liberals would love it if we boycott remington. It gives them control. Divide and conquer! Instead of wasting our energy on this we need to place it where it matters or we will continue to loose this war on our rights. Only 5% of 60+ million gun owners belong to the nra or other lobby group. If 25% belonged, we would even be talking about this! Imho.
you are 100% correct.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,234
Re: Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2678 View Post
I tend to agree with this line of thinking myself. My gut tells me that the company size, location and bottom line of remingtons balance sheet may not allow them the luxury of packing up and leaving town like some of these other smaller ar-15/tactical based companies buoyed with 2 yrs worth of backorders.. My guess is that they desperatetly need the $ and financial stability. At the end of the day they are a company that seeks a profit. Having said that they definitely need to clean house in management and completely re design their business model.
I agree that they need to get their act together from a management standpoint. The only Remington products I have ever bought were four Milspec 700's, one as recent as a couple of months ago, my first, several years ago. My two Bushmasters and two DPMS are excellent. All these rifles were well priced and could compete with any riflle in in their class in terms of quality and performance. They need to build this quality into the broader line of products.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 560
Re: Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilscungilli View Post
I have a pile of Remington products, starting with a nylon 66 from back in the 70's. At this point, I'm done. The United Mine Workers have (Remington workers) have consistently supported the people who are stripping me of my rights. That, coupled with the NY gun laws, and I'm done.

My next rifle will be a custom, probably based on a Stiller action of some sort.
I love my P1000
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 325
Re: Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

Thread Hijack in progress!

I was thinking of the TACTICAL 30 A/W. Once I get done obsessing about what cartridge to pick, I'll start my build.

.338 Norma is high on my list at this point.
__________________
If you like your hunting rifle, you can keep your hunting rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,954
Re: Guess we can add Rem to that boycot list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I think that this thinking might be flawed. I live in the Northeast because of my employment circumstances and absolutely despise the politics of these liberal, asshole politicians that don't know which end of a gun the bullet comes out of. Savage resides in Massachusetts which has gun laws that aren't a whole lot different from NY and the politicians are trying to expand the laws to be similar or worse then NY. Are we going to boycott Savage if they choose to stay or sell to the government? It's one thing for a company the size of Magpul to pull up and move to another state, but it will likely bankrupt a company the size of Remington or Savage, or Colt to pull up roots and move everything to another state. What about the employee's skill's and retraining, or relocation?. Building a new plant, moving equipment etc.ect. What if Remington decided to move to Colorado 20 years ago because of NY politics? Who would of thought the rats would have infected their political system. If you think your state is immune, think twice. Boycotting Remington does not seem like the way to fight this disease. They, and other companies based in enemy territory may be an important ally and prove useful. If the government wants to strengthen them with 80M, that might not be bad. What if they went to AI for the sniper rifles because no American based company would sell them? Liberals would love it if we boycott Remington. It gives them control. Divide and conquer! Instead of wasting our energy on this we need to place it where it matters or we will continue to loose this war on our rights. Only 5% of 60+ million gun owners belong to the NRA or other lobby group. If 25% belonged, we would even be talking about this! iMHO.
It's not so much where they're located, it's that they signed an $80 M contract with the anti-gun government. The big gun corps have a history of putting $$$ before values. Both Remington and Ruger have supported anti-gun legislation.

Boycotting traitors does work. It drove Dan Cooper out of Cooper Firearms and sent a clear message to other gun makers.

I say good riddance to Remington and any other gun manufacturer who supports anti-gun causes or politicians.

I also think Remington could move one piece at a time over several years. NY taxes have got to be cutting in on their profits in a big way.

Let'm go bankrupt and have someone buy them out and start over. In the mean time, buy from smaller guys. You'll get better quality anyway.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Are you on Facebook?
Yes - 46.49%
1,093 Vote
No - 19.35%
455 Votes
No, but I may join - 1.74%
41 Votes
No way, are you kidding? - 36.20%
851 Votes
Total Votes: 2,351
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC