Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

@@@Is the Government buying up our Hunting Bullets ?@@@

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: @@@Is the Government buying up our Hunting Bullets ?@@@

I stopped up at the corner store to see about selling an ar-10 and now they are out of 22lr. They still have some 17hmr and a fair amount of shotgun shells but no other rifle rounds and only 2 boxes of 40cal for handguns.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman13kup View Post
I stopped up at the corner store to see about selling an ar-10 and now they are out of 22lr. They still have some 17hmr and a fair amount of shotgun shells but no other rifle rounds and only 2 boxes of 40cal for handguns.

I know its that away in several stores all over in different states. Good luck with your sell/Ammo purchase.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I know its that away in several stores all over in different states. Good luck with your sell/Ammo purchase.
I have a couple bricks of Winchester and a couple Remmingtons left. I think I can weather this out.

As for the sale, I don't think it will take long. I'm not asking gunbroker prices
Old 03-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

One of the guys at the club was talking about reloading 22 rimfires. I said you gotta be kidding me.

Reminds me of the U-Tube video's of making primers from scratch.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
One of the guys at the club was talking about reloading 22 rimfires. I said you gotta be kidding me.

Reminds me of the U-Tube video's of making primers from scratch.
Was he serious ? I can only imagine how small the dies would be. I woul like to see some. I dint think it was possible with dies like you and I use in our LRH rifles.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

You don't use a die, you seat the bullet with your fingers or needlenose pliers. It's a straight walled case and the bullet has gas checks (ridges) that keep it in the case.

Take a 22 in one hand and grab the bullet with the other and twist it. It will move and you can actually pull it out.

Problem is, it's rimfire so no primer and spent cases will have deformed case heads. I guess it could be done in a pinch with home cast lead bullets but it seems pretty tedious to me.

Never took one apart and dumped it out, but it can't have but a grain of powder inside,

Reloading 22's is desperation at it's best, sort of like making priners at home.,

I guess for a more ideal take apart a 17 Mach or HMR would be easier to play with. They are rimfire too.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
You don't use a die, you seat the bullet with your fingers or needlenose pliers. It's a straight walled case and the bullet has gas checks (ridges) that keep it in the case.

Take a 22 in one hand and grab the bullet with the other and twist it. It will move and you can actually pull it out.

Problem is, it's rimfire so no primer and spent cases will have deformed case heads. I guess it could be done in a pinch with home cast lead bullets but it seems pretty tedious to me.

Never took one apart and dumped it out, but it can't have but a grain of powder inside,

Reloading 22's is desperation at it's best, sort of like making priners at home.,

I guess for a more ideal take apart a 17 Mach or HMR would be easier to play with. They are rimfire too.
Cool, hope it doesnt come down to that.