Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

good news from AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: good news from AZ

"No training+no background check...interesting"

Am i to assume you disagree with this Chas1?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

where is the part about training and background check?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting as in It's making me think of the pros and cons. Generally I think anything that gains us ground and makes the anti's loose ground is a good thing. As just one example Starbuck's position (supports it) on open carry in California...I'm delighted.

Then, I wonder(no facts in yet so haven't taken a position.) will it become so easy so as to minimize the awesome responsibility of carrying coupled with no training and does this eventually lead to incident/s where poor judgement and /or lack of training are maybe the root cause but instead it gives the media/anti's fuel to beat the drums about gun crazed individual blah blah...so does it have the potential to back fire. Not to mention, there's a bunch of regs covering do and don't's that can get you in serious trouble w/o even unholstering your weapon...so w/o training is it realistic that an individual/s unknowingly get arrested. As just one example: where and where not to carry.

I don't know but I've seen folks the day after Christmas with their brand new shiny auto...never having owned or used a firearm in their life come to the range, and I got to tell you some are damn right dangerous. Unforetunate as it is it's atleast at the range and so I keep the my eyes open in the back of my head. I'm not sure I'm in favor of that environment out in town and round about the neighborhood.

It's kinda got me wondering that if a person has possesion of a vehicle then issue them a license and skip the training and any background/previous driving record check.

I've introduced many to the world of firearms...family and friends and before they ever touched a firearm they got trained. I'm just not sure how Billy Bob running around town the day after Christmas plays out.

Any of this make any sense or am I just out in left field alone here wondering?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Miller Outdoors

Congratulations to Arizona for getting and applying the actual meaning of right to bear arms "shall not be infringed". Novel concept - taking words for what they actually mean.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Yep those people exist Chas1...they are the same people who like to wear lots of black and velcro, use holsters that barrely work, we all know who they are. I think your concerns are valid, carrying is an awesome responsibility, in my state I did not need training but did need a background check, are we certain AZ doesn't require a background check? I would like to see carry classes or basic firearms classes become as common as CPR classes, course that would mean I would have to put my money where my mouth is and become an instructor...it's on my list of to do's. We will always have these peopel with us, the best we could do is educate. As for requiring training...not sure.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

chas1...
i suppose your arguments are valid enough, but to me it is delightful to see a place in this country where the second ammendment is all we need to secure our rights. there are inherent risks involved in almost everything we do. you mentioned driving and i agree that this is one case in point where there should be more training. in most places, any 16yr old kid with a license can get behind the wheel of a 8000lb lethal weapon and drive any where he wants in any traffic situation. i am an optimist at heart. i believe most people have the sense to educate themselves when it comes to firearms training. of course the gangbangers and drug dealers are not going to follow the rules anyway as it pertains to firearms, so this doesnt scare me in the least. let the honest , law abiding citizens of this country have the right to defend themselves and lets re-visit this in 5 yrs and see what the results are. The anti's all howled that we would have shootouts in the streets when we started issuing CC permits a few yrs back....didnt happen. i suspect this will be more of the same. AJ
Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Briancrn113 and dogdinger, thanks for the feedback, good comments. Black clothing and velcro...so true, heck I work with some and they think auto pistols the way to go versus revolver simply because of firepower but don't have a clue nor the motor skills to handle a malfunction under normal conditions let alone a stressful one. Like I said I'm just wondering, in any event better AZ goes this route than clamping down...the anti's would love that and only motivate them more...so anything that takes the wind out of their sails is a plus. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Silver Member

Guess I missed the " no background check " part ....