Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

Do You Have a Responsibility To Fight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Do You Have a Responsibility To Fight?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatrix View Post
An excellent read!!!

Has anyone here put their hand in the crack of the Liberty Bell?

I have.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

I have to say, I haven't. I've had my fingers in some cracks but that was long ago.....lol

Everyday is a fight anymore and yes, it was a good read.

Problem is, today, citizens look at things differently and live differently than back then.

Back then, people weren't spoon fed their pablum, they had to go out and get it. What they had they worked for and worked hard. Today, thats not ther case.

Food comes from the grocery not the woods or the garden. Transportation is via car not horseback and no one (except hunters) walk anywhere now. Getting the paper from the mailbox is considered a chore.

One reason why we have so much obesity here. People have become complacient and sedetary and expect to be given necessities and if thats not occuring in a fashion they deem acceptable, they cry, hence 'entitlement'....

So yes, lots of parallels between then and now, however, now is a different mindset than then.

Not saying everyone falls into that catergory, but a large segment of the population does. Those people have no foresight and really don't care about tomorrow, the agenda of the government or their fellow citizens, so long as they get what they deem they deserve.

I do take solace that at least 11 million citizens feel strongly about what this coutry and it's principles were founded on. Thats a pretty strong statement in itself.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I have to say, I haven't. I've had my fingers in some cracks but that was long ago.....lol
Good one Flip... gotta chuckle out of that.

Reading this article brought back some memories. I was born in Phily and family is from Eastern PA - Allentown area now. I have been to Valley Forge, Betsy Ross' House and numerous other such historic sites. Putting ones hand on the Bell and touching "LIBERTY" makes an impression on a young person and in maturity the understanding becomes so much more the relevant. Remembering placing my hand in the crack just emphasizes the reality.

Quote:
Everyday is a fight anymore and yes, it was a good read.

Problem is, today, citizens look at things differently and live differently than back then.

Back then, people weren't spoon fed their pablum, they had to go out and get it. What they had they worked for and worked hard. Today, thats not ther case.

Food comes from the grocery not the woods or the garden. Transportation is via car not horseback and no one (except hunters) walk anywhere now. Getting the paper from the mailbox is considered a chore.

One reason why we have so much obesity here. People have become complacient and sedetary and expect to be given necessities and if thats not occuring in a fashion they deem acceptable, they cry, hence 'entitlement'....

So yes, lots of parallels between then and now, however, now is a different mindset than then.

Not saying everyone falls into that catergory, but a large segment of the population does. Those people have no foresight and really don't care about tomorrow, the agenda of the government or their fellow citizens, so long as they get what they deem they deserve.

I do take solace that at least 11 million citizens feel strongly about what this coutry and it's principles were founded on. Thats a pretty strong statement in itself.
Good points and I would add that public education does not teach our history in regards to the birth of this nation and the causes and price of that birth. Else there would much more than 11 million citizens who feel strongly about what this coutry and it's principles were founded on.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Do you know what animal does not hunt or gather for their survival? A kept animal. Mitt caught a lot of flack over his 47 percent comment during the election. The problem is it was the truth. There seems to be a large segment of our population that think this is ok. They have changed the words they use as almost subliminal messaging. Entitlement.... you have never worked and never will but you are entitled to be kept up as long as you vote for me. Less fortunate...... you that went to school, studied and got good grades and work 40 to 60 hours a week are LUCKY. what you are is fortunate to work to support the entitled. The newest one Raising revenue....... Taxing the lucky. Don't you feel like a lucky lottery winner? You have worked hard to get where you are and the things you have, despite the govt, and they call you fortunate/ lucky.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=MontanaRifleman;779900]
Quote:

Good one Flip... gotta chuckle out of that.

Reading this article brought back some memories. I was born in Phily and family is from Eastern PA - Allentown area now. I have been to Valley Forge, Betsy Ross' House and numerous other such historic sites. Putting ones hand on the Bell and touching "LIBERTY" makes an impression on a young person and in maturity the understanding becomes so much more the relevant. Remembering placing my hand in the crack just emphasizes the reality.

Good points and I would add that public education does not teach our history in regards to the birth of this nation and the causes and price of that birth. Else there would much more than 11 million citizens who feel strongly about what this coutry and it's principles were founded on.
I did take a motorcycle trip to Virginia to visit a good freind who just happens to be a retired Virginia State Highway Patrol officer and we visited George Washington's birthplace and among the artifacts there was his wooden teeth.

I thought, man, this dude had some oral issues......

I'm not all that comfortable visiting places of white supremacy. It's doable but not always comfortable.

I remrmber the arcane stuff, but thats how I am.......
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red hunter View Post
Do you know what animal does not hunt or gather for their survival? A kept animal. Mitt caught a lot of flack over his 47 percent comment during the election. The problem is it was the truth. There seems to be a large segment of our population that think this is ok. They have changed the words they use as almost subliminal messaging. Entitlement.... you have never worked and never will but you are entitled to be kept up as long as you vote for me. Less fortunate...... you that went to school, studied and got good grades and work 40 to 60 hours a week are LUCKY. what you are is fortunate to work to support the entitled. The newest one Raising revenue....... Taxing the lucky. Don't you feel like a lucky lottery winner? You have worked hard to get where you are and the things you have, despite the govt, and they call you fortunate/ lucky.
"If you've got a business, you didn't build that - somebody else made that happen." - Barack Obama

I still can't believe these words came out of the mouth of an American president.

By the gods I will fight as long as there is breath in my body.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

I do have a business, started it 20 years ago. When my wife heard that she accused me of cheating on her. I asked her if she was nuts. She said well if someone else built your business where were you for 16 to 18 hours a day for those first 7 years?