Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

Correspondence to Cooper Arms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Correspondence to Cooper Arms

The following letters are emails that I have sent to Cooper Arms in the last couple of days. My hope is to convince Mr Cooper to completely withdraw fron Cooper Firearms of Montana and to preserve the company itself. I encourage others to do the same, to email and call Cooper Arms and to also speak to you friends and gun dealers. I am sure there are negotiations going on now and I want to help influence that process.

Mark
Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Correspondence to Cooper Arms

To Whom It May Concern,

I was very shocked and disappointed to learn of Dan Cooper’s contributions to the Obama campaign for President. I was conversely very glad to see the swift response and action of your board of directors in asking for Mr. Cooper’s resignation and his agreement to do so. Although I respect Mr. Cooper’s right to his political views and support of any candidate he chooses, I am very bewildered by his choice to support Barak Obama who is now the President Elect of our country. President Elect Obama has a very clear anti-gun and anti-Second Amendment record. As a gun owner and supporter of the Second Amendment, I am concerned that a gun enthusiast and manufacturer such as Mr Cooper, who throws his support to a demonstrated anti-gun candidate, can significantly erode and harm gun owner privileges in this country, as it sends a very confusing signal to those might believe that Mr. Obama poses no threat to our privileges. His record and candid statements are very clear.

As I stated earlier, I am glad to see the action taken by the company to correct this breech of trust by Mr. Cooper. I think that Cooper Firearms of Montana makes a fine rifle and I hope and plan to support your company in the future, however, I would like to know that your company is completely severing its business relations with Mr. Cooper and that he is dissolving all of his interests and holdings in the company. I do not want to think that my support of Cooper Arms will in turn support Mr Cooper whom I believe supports a president that is committed to removing the many great privileges our constitution provides for us, gun ownership being only one. I can assure you that I am not alone in this sentiment. I am an active member of two online shooting forums and have read many threads from others. I am also a life member of the NRA.

In order to reestablish trust with your supporters and clientele, I think it is important that the Cooper Arms Company takes some clear steps in severing its ties with Mr. Cooper and affirming its support of our constitutional freedoms based on the recently transpired events.

I do not demand, but humbly suggest that your company completely sever its relations, including holdings with Mr. Cooper and make this public and transparent.

I also suggest that your company make a strong and clear statement reaffirming its commitment to our Second Amendment privileges and that you in no way support President Elect Obama in regards to his position on gun ownership freedoms.

I know your company has been thrust into a very difficult situation. I believe swift and decisive action along these lines will go a long way in reestablishing trust with your supporters.

Sincerely Yours,

Mark Weiser
Bozeman, Mt
Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member

For the attention of Mr. Dan Cooper

Dear Sir,

I respect your right to your political views and freedom to support any political candidate you choose. However, to say that I am dismayed with your support of Barak Obama would be a gross understatement. President Elect Obama’s anti gun record is very clear and very contradictory to statements he made during his campaign. His candid statement which was caught off record behind close doors reveals his true sentiment. I quote, “And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion …”

I believe your highly visible position as a gun maker, shooter and hunter make your decision to support Barak Obama all the more damaging to 2nd Amendment rights. Your support sends the mistaken message of trust for Mr. Obama and his party. We will undoubtedly see anti gun executive orders as well as legislation in the near future as Mr. Obama steps into his role as President assisted by a Democrat controlled congress. Thankfully we have an organization like the NRA to resist that.

In light of these developments, I will not support Cooper Firearms of Montana as long as you are involved in any way, including holding shares, and I can assure you that I am not alone in this sentiment. This is not an easy decision for me but very clearly one I have to make for two reasons. First, I do not want any money I use to purchase guns to go to a business or individual that supports political persons and parties that have clearly shown themselves to be a threat to Second Amendment rights. Second, to do so sends a convoluted message of trust for those who want to strip our Second Amendment rights.

You have worked hard to build a fine company that produces fine rifles. I know a decision to leave your company would be very difficult one. But this is what I am recommending to you if you want the company to be preserved and the jobs of your employees secured. I will be posting this letter on shooting forums and sharing my sentiment with your gun dealers. I won’t be doing any business with dealers who are doing business with your company as long as you are involved in any way and I will let them know that. Once again this is not an easy decision. I do not want to see your employees loose their jobs, but the fall out of Barak Obama’s presidency will likely cost many gun related jobs to be lost.

I will cling to both my guns and my faith.

Your reply in this matter is certainly welcome.

Respectfully Yours,

Mark Weiser
Bozeman, Mt
Old 11-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Mark---like the last letter. Well written!!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Mark---like the last letter. Well written!!
Thanks Boss, I really would like to see the company preserved. They make a fine rifle.

Your idea to buy him out is a good one. I would be willing to participate, but business has been real slow since spring.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

The employees of Savage Arms bought the company.....why can't the employees of Cooper? I agree with Boss, the employees should buy out the company to preserve their jobs and the firearms. If they don't, and Cooper goes out of business because of all of this, some other small gun maker could/will step up to the plate and fill that gap left by Cooper.

Very well written letters, Mark, and the second one was especially direct and to the point!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Well Done, MontanRifleman