Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

Can anyone recommend an attorny....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 05:35 AM

Re: Can anyone recommend an attorny....

There was a kid (17 y/o) that just got arrested for stealing a loaded .40 out of one of my buddies trucks. Not only did he steal it, he also filed the serial number off of it then (unknowingly) tried to sell it to my buddy! One of the guys here at work doesn't exactly run with the right crowd and caught wind of a pistol for sale. He knew my buddy was missing a gun so he called my buddy up and the two of them went to check it out. When they got there my buddy checked it out..same pistol, same ammo, no serial number. Of course, my buddy confronted him about it but didn't want to take the weapon just because the fact that it didn't have a serial number on it. He had already reported the gun missing so he called the cop again and told him the whole story. SURPRISE! The cop knew this kid and had already suspected he was stealing guns from other local homes. Anyway, they set up an undercover sting, solicited the gun using the same kid that works here as a reference and bought my buddies gun, then took this kid down and conducted a search warrant that came up with several other stolen firearms and electronics. Last I heard he was being charged with 4 felonies and 4 misdemeanors.

We live in a pretty small town, we definitely don't need someone like that running around.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Now that the serial numbers have been filed off, what will happen to the gun? Will it be destroyed or returned to your friend once the trial is over and the gun as evidence is no longer needed?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:36 AM

Looks like the gun will be destroyed. Possessing a gun without a serial number seems like more of a hassle than anything, even if for some reason he is legally allowed to keep it. I'm not 100% positive, though. I'll talk to him here in the next few days and see what he knows about it.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

I would imagine the serial number could be easily tracked down and wondering if it could be stamped on the gun again. Let us know what you find out, just wondering what the authorities procedure is.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 AM

Well, the court date came and went. It was supposed to be quick -- the confession and the rest of the evidence should have sped things up. Of course, it didn't go as planned because the kid stood up in the middle of the trial and demanded he be declared (and tried as) an adult. This was a surprise to everyone, even his attorney. So anyway, I guess there's a new date somewhere down the line because of the more serious charges.

And as for the gun, it will be destroyed. The prosecution is going to try to get some money out of the kid to replace it, but that won't likely happen.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Not a smart move to do anything that comes as a surprise to your attorney.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Bob View Post
There was a kid (17 y/o) that just got arrested for stealing a loaded .40 out of one of my buddies trucks. Not only did he steal it, he also filed the serial number off of it then (unknowingly) tried to sell it to my buddy! One of the guys here at work doesn't exactly run with the right crowd and caught wind of a pistol for sale. He knew my buddy was missing a gun so he called my buddy up and the two of them went to check it out. When they got there my buddy checked it out..same pistol, same ammo, no serial number. Of course, my buddy confronted him about it but didn't want to take the weapon just because the fact that it didn't have a serial number on it. He had already reported the gun missing so he called the cop again and told him the whole story. SURPRISE! The cop knew this kid and had already suspected he was stealing guns from other local homes. Anyway, they set up an undercover sting, solicited the gun using the same kid that works here as a reference and bought my buddies gun, then took this kid down and conducted a search warrant that came up with several other stolen firearms and electronics. Last I heard he was being charged with 4 felonies and 4 misdemeanors.

We live in a pretty small town, we definitely don't need someone like that running around.
Good thing they got the kid... but wouldn't it be hard for him to steal guns if there were none lying around accessible?

I'm not disputing gun ownership, I own rifles and guns myself. I just don't think they should be anywhere accessible unless you're handling them...