Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

Bullet and Gun tax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet and Gun tax

While we're on the topic of taxes......there is an internet sales tax making its way through Congress. Congress never saw a tax they didn't like. This could impact Len's internet sales operation. What will they think of next? Don't ask.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3stix View Post
While we're on the topic of taxes......there is an internet sales tax making its way through Congress. Congress never saw a tax they didn't like. This could impact Len's internet sales operation. What will they think of next? Don't ask.
Len isn't the only one with an Internet business on here. I have one as well, just not in this venue, so it's never mentioned on this site....

Actually, Len and myself will be immune to collection of sales tax. You have do do a million or better in gross sales, then you become liable to collect the sales tax on interstate customers. So the trick is, if you will, do stay under a million in gross sales. No issue for me and I don't think Len will have an issue either.

The bill is aimed squarely at online retailers like Amazon and Flea Bay and is being lobbied and bankrolled by retailers who say that Internet sales is unfair.

Typical Washingtom back room politics at it's best.

Nothing new and everything old. Same old crap sponsored by the same old group of Democrats and conveniently greased by corporate America.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the explanation. This could be a game changer for Cabelas and Bass Pro.
BTW Both Bass Pro Shop and Cabelas charge sales tax to internet customers in states where they have retail outlets.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Candidly, I have 2 Cabelas Black cards, one for the business and a personal one and the only things I get at Cabelas is on redemption points.

Cabelas is way overpriced on most things in my view. I don't ascribe to the 'Cabelas Experience', even though the local store is but a couple miles away. I don't care to go there, unless it's to get something on points and I've picked up guns on more than one ocassion.

If it passes (I don't think it will pass the house), you'll see al the major players charging sales tax and it will be a nightmare bookeeping wise, plus you'll see all of them increase prices to cover the addittional employees.

IMO, it's a lame excuse for a tax increase on the middle class...you and me.

Politicians are extremely short sighted, especially when getting well greased by corporate America, in this case, the big box stores and chains like Lowes, Home Depot, JC Penny and Sears Grabbuck and more.