Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

anti-gun politics at my son's school.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2003, 09:05 PM
Bronze Member

anti-gun politics at my son's school.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I am kinda irritated about this...

The Grade school by us has a Family Fun day one friday every month, parents go with child and do differnt activities together, teacher helps..
This is for kindergarden only I believe, I usually am at work, and he or I cannot go to these once a month events (daytime)..

Slow at work, had day off, decided to go, my son who is about 7, and my other one who is about 4 got to come along...
We worked with kids for about 2 hours...
Then it was film time.... Kids when to other room to watch a cartoon film, us parrent was sent to library, the film was on "Gun safty"..
a Deputy Sheriff was there to talk afterwards....
I thought hey, maybe it was a film on gun safty and hunting safty, gun safty at home with children...
The film started, and it was a tape of a 60 minutes exclusive with Barbra Walters...
the film had nothing to do with gun safty, it was "anti-gun", words like

"A gun in your home is 2500 more likly to kill your child than it will get used for self defense!"

or other stuff like

"You think your children can't get your guns cause you have em locked up in your gun cabnet? think again!"

I'm not sure how long the film was, cause I grabed my jacket got up and walked out, there was 15 or so other parents and out of them who I have talked with, some was very pro gun/hunting, and very anti liberal.. but sat through the filth..

my sons teacher came out in hall, and asked me what was wrong.. I (politly) told her, I didn't think this was all supost to be about politics..

I am not sure if grade schools can do this legally...
There are a few main things that are certainly political...

* Racial minority favortisum vs equel rights
* Abortion vs Pro life
* higher taxes vs lower taxes
* Anti-gun/control vs 2nd amendment freedome

We all know gun rights is probably one big part why Bush got elected.. if the demonazi's can burn in more parents heads about how thier little kindergardener is at risk by your gun(s), they stand just that much more of a chance...as the last election went, you can see just changing the minds of only a few could have turned the election around and you know what that can mean in time.

take care, and keep the fight for your gun on.

scott
Old 02-01-2003, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: anti-gun politics at my son\'s school.

Welcome to LRH Scott, I would have done the same thing. My kids got yanked out of the public school before they hit Junior High, and for good reasons too. My wife teaches the three of them at home and they are just smart kids gettin smarter. They had teachers there wanting to put every kid they could on ritalin, and still do too. My straight "A" daughter got a horrible teacher, buy the way was fired at the end of the year, and went to D's after one quarter. That was her last year there. I'ts too bad every parent can't teach there own just so they KNOW what they're learning behind those doors. Her teacher was an anti-gun greeny in the biggest way I've seen in a long time. He was on a rant about guns and kids once so she told him that dad keeps all his guns loaded and they aren't locked up so he can't use them if a robber comes in at night. She said he was livid! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You can't trust your kids with very few people anymore. I feel sorry for the parents that have to trust the teachers and don't have much choice about it.

My wife flags on roadjobs in the summer and has all winter off so it works out kind of nice for us.

[ 02-01-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 02-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Possibly a letter to the Local School Board and a copy to the State Board of Education would be in order?

Just tell them of your dis-satisfaction of this very Political event and name the Teacher or School Official resposible for allowing this to happen. Tell them of your displeasure along with others that were there in attendance.

It can be stopped with other measures such as Editorials in local papers and attending meetings of the Local School Board to voice your opinions.
Take along other parents that feel the same as you and also have them sign a petition pertaining to the incident.

You can fight it and possibly make a difference in your area.

Darryl Cassel
Old 02-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Platinum Member

You are right Darryl, this particular teacher of my daughters was the result of almost ten years of people doing everything they could just for the next generations sake. Tenure was a major issue in this instance though. The schools won't talk about other parents complaints, they are basically sealed and confidential so it really takes alot of effort to find out who is out there and then a concerted one to even get them to listen to you. They treat you like you are the only one out there that has a problem unless there is an overwelming amount of people beating down their door at once.

Good luck, the programs are pushed on the teachers and some just go with it like the wind, while others have just as much of a fight with it as we do. Be VERY selective with your kids teachers, go with your gut!
Old 02-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Scott,

Terre Haute has a few liberal ideas springing out of ISU from time to time, but it is by large a very hunting oriented area. Speak to a few of the people from different hunting groups in the area. With their involvement, by this time next year, the gun control talks at school may very well be given by Eddie Eagle.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

My daughter's pre-school had an NRA volunteer come in & do an Eddie Eagle program last year. She could recite the 4 Eddie Eagle safety tips when she was 3 1/2. She also thinks Eddie is as cool as any Saturday morning cartoon character!

If we followed the example of this NRA volunteer & others like him, how many kids would get the APPROPRIATE message, proven to work, from people who care about the kids & NOT the politics???
Old 02-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

Think maybe you should have stayed and let them know that what they are teaching is infringing on The American Constitution! That is a strong point that the American Public School system should not ignore. Our children are in school to learn about America, and the Constituton of the United States, not some private individual's view point. Teachers should stay neutral regardless of how they feel. Maybe contacting the principal or even the Superintendent of the school district that your child should be informed. Teach the constitution, not your personnal beliefs. Isn't that what the school system was designed to do?