Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

1 Rifle to rule them all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 1 Rifle to rule them all

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...J3jGwoYJFXNfIA

For those of you whose ears perked up on the tin foil hat comment....simply sub tin foil for paper.... I did it for one of the guys where I work once... he wore the hat for the rest of the day.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Flip, if the gas gunners are at 600+ yards, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will get hit. "Herded", yes. 55gr pills out a 16" barrel only goes so far.... Even the lightest armor will defeat 55gr FMJ. Most gas gunners do not have ANY experience shooting that kind of range and the ballistics of the bullet are not in their favor.
Absolutely. A 55 grain pill at 600 yards has about as much kinetic energy as a a fly taking a crap on your chocolate chip cookie

I imagine at 600, the pill is extremely subsonic and probably doing endo's.

Never discount the M191's for armor piercing....or maybe armor tinfoil....
Old 12-14-2013, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...J3jGwoYJFXNfIA

For those of you whose ears perked up on the tin foil hat comment....simply sub tin foil for paper.... I did it for one of the guys where I work once... he wore the hat for the rest of the day.
Glad I'm not Jewish, but my wife is.......
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
My tinfoil hat is on the coatrack.
No. your hat flew out the window along with your argument.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 12-14-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

If it was only 1 and I own it now it would be my Remington 541-S, I think I can avoid engagement, and it will feed me very quietly while offering more rounds per pound while out and about.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

I find the argument about the AR-15 needing to be cleaned frequently to efficiently operate unfounded.

I cleaned my weapon 2x over the course of 6 months in Afghanistan. For real.

I must not have shot it very often you say? 2-6 firefights every single day. For real.

I have seen what a .223 will do to a human that doesn't posses a plate carrier. Yes it's not as devastating as a larger caliber, but it does effectively kill.

I know what assuming does, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyways and say that the majority of you have never been in a firefight. For those of you who haven't, believe me, it's nothing like you could ever imagine, and 95% of the time you were ambushed. From some of your comments I have deduced that you believe you will be set up waiting for your target, that sounds like you're being a 1 man army that happens to have good enough intel on the time and location of the enemy you're going to be shooting at. Didn't know a 1 man army had a combat intelligence department. 1 man with a weapon and a desire to survive WILL.

I posed a simple question, if you had to reach for 1 rifle, which 1? I didn't pose a detailed scenario. If you can't play along then don't. But don't presume to tell me what that scenario would look like because no one does.

No offense was taken and none was meant to be given, just respectfully replying to responses. Have a great day Gentleman!
Old 12-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcub View Post
I find the argument about the AR-15 needing to be cleaned frequently to efficiently operate unfounded.

News to me. I have a friend with a Rock River that put approximately 60 rounds downrange (Federal LC factory loads) and it started jamming. I ran my finger inside the action and my finger looked like I wiped it on a greasy dirty rag. It was mis-cycling because it was loaded with crap.

I cleaned my weapon 2x over the course of 6 months in Afghanistan. For real.

I'd hate to see what the tube looked like but then an AR isn't what I consider to be a longer range rifle so a dirty tube means little.

I must not have shot it very often you say? 2-6 firefights every single day. For real.

I have seen what a .223 will do to a human that doesn't posses a plate carrier. Yes it's not as devastating as a larger caliber, but it does effectively kill.

...at close range. A pellet rifle will kill at close range.

I know what assuming does, but I'm going to go ahead and do it anyways and say that the majority of you have never been in a firefight. For those of you who haven't, believe me, it's nothing like you could ever imagine, and 95% of the time you were ambushed. From some of your comments I have deduced that you believe you will be set up waiting for your target, that sounds like you're being a 1 man army that happens to have good enough intel on the time and location of the enemy you're going to be shooting at. Didn't know a 1 man army had a combat intelligence department. 1 man with a weapon and a desire to survive WILL.

No, no firefights for many years but Vietnamn was different and thats another story that I'd prefer not to discuss.

I posed a simple question, if you had to reach for 1 rifle, which 1? I didn't pose a detailed scenario. If you can't play along then don't. But don't presume to tell me what that scenario would look like because no one does.

Never did. I like to 'play along'. However, my experience with the Rock River predicates my answers.

No offense was taken and none was meant to be given, just respectfully replying to responses. Have a great day Gentleman!
Everyday is a great day so long as you are not taking a dirt nap.