Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Politics Of Hunting And Guns (NOT General Politics)

1 Rifle to rule them all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: 1 Rifle to rule them all

In this scenario, it's truly "Beware the man with 1 gun...". That's why I ask all of you, which gun are you grabbing for if you could only take 1.

I chose to reach for the 1 I shoot the best, that also happens to be a very popular caliber and finding ammunition wouldn't be as tough.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

I would grab my custom light packer 338 Norma or wellmaybe my AI fed 338 norma
Old 12-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

There is no 1 best weapon, regardless of circumstances. The best weapon of course is the one you have with you (and have ammo for and a system to carry that ammo)....

I am with Flip, that I will no longer partake of the vanilla AR-15 clan. I personally replaced my AR with 2 SKS rifles and could have gone with 3. I have plenty of ammo for it, none of which I reload (although I do have supplies) and being a gas piston type design, it will tolerate adverse conditions better than many an AR when one does not have the time, means or supplies to keep an AR clean and lubed. And I will have at least 1 other person, 2 more for the same money spent as for an AR sending lead at whoever the bad guy is. One man armies do not last long.

If the range is extended, then I have several accurate bolt guns and ammo for them and one would not need nearly as much ammo as with a case spewing autoloader. Elk may need several hits but for most men, 1 hit is all it needs from a hunting rifle. These would not include a 223 unless the carrier was <12 years old.

If the situation is really so bad that I am personally down to one weapon, I would be avoiding direct confrontation and using stealth as much as possible and trying to hang on to the most accurate weapon I have with the best sighting system. I have been abandoned behind enemy lines in my past (until it was noticed that I was missing) and you sure do not want to stick out or attract any attention whatsoever...
Old 12-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300whisper View Post
thats hard...i am a firm believer in the 3 gun rule...rifle, pistol, shotgun. But probably my remington 870 3.5 in mag since it is the most flexible of the bunch and i have a rifled barrel for it.

Also...12b :d
+ one!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Bronze Member

I would choose the one that I know how to handle, Have the most trigger time and with that comes the large amount of ammo.. Sako TRG 42 338 LM
Old 12-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

I'll play

223 bolt gun with spare DBM's and lots of ammo - specifically 70 gr VLD's. If there's one thing you want to do in a crisis situation,it's to conserve ammo. Spraying isn't going to get you anywhere but out of ammo in a hurry. If a bad guy exposes his head anywhere inside 500 yds, he's mine.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

I'd grab my AK if I had enough ammo; if not, I'd grab my sporterized Remington 1903.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams