Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

What's your favorite game meat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
Re: What's your favorite game meat?

outofayr....where did you get the nilgai ? I am looking for a place to hunt them in the states.....i heard there were several places in Tx that have them...AJ
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

My FIL went to the King Ranch hunting them for several years in the mid 90s, back when it was cheaper. He also hunted some other properties. Mostly around Brownsville.

Have fun,
Brian
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 AM

I had elk medallions while in Estes Park, Colorado and it was by far the best cut of meat I have ever eaten. I had several slices of buffalo roast while stationed at Ft. Huachuca, Arizona and it was quite good as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Gold Member

We have a wild game feed at our church every year - this year 328 men and 39 kids under 12. The big hits this year were the 2 whole wild boars we roasted, venison roast that was smoked for six hours then spent 8 hours in a roaster slow cooking in onion soup mix and pheasant wild rice soup.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

I would have to say caribou and elk. Caribou has a little bit of an edge over the elk simply because I froze my butt off for a week to get it! I've never elk hunted (one day I will!), but my uncle goes every year and he had some for us. Venison is hit or miss with me whether or not I shot it. Sometimes it's just not that great no matter what you do to the meat to tenderize or season it, at least in my opinion anyways.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 PM

A number of years ago we had a company Christmas party. Nicey, nice kinda of place. Nobody would try the ostrich, so I bravely stepped up and ordered it. Now I'm not a big fan of the birdie type game, but this meat was oh so tender and didn't taste like chicken. Reminded me of beef with a hint of venison in it. Very good eats.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:31 PM

I have a store less than two blocks away that sells a lot of exotics. I might have to try the ostrich.

Link