Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

Need recepie for elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need recepie for elk

We use ours the same way we do any beef. Maybe add some peppers and onions when frying or in the crock pot. You are in for a treat, we hardly ever buy beef any more. The Elk to me is awesome when processed properly and cooled out quick.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Old 03-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Easy stroganoff:

Cube up 1 lb of elk (or deer). Melt 1/4 stick of butter in a skillet over medium/medium high heat. Add venison and turn to brown on all sides. Once blood stops seeping out, stir in 1 small can of mushrooms (drained) and sautee for a minute or two until the liquid is starting to dry up. Deglaze skillet with 1/2 cup of dry sherry or white wine, and stir in 1 cup of sour cream. Heat through and serve over egg noodles.

I also make chicken fried elk/deer, elk/deer fajitas, elk/deer stirfry, stew, etc. using the storebought mixes and following the directions.

We do a lot of venison as shishkebob during the summer. Coat the meat with fajita seasoning, and skewer with squash, tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, onion wedge, green/red/yellow pepers, etc. and cook on the grill until medium/medium well and serve with rice. Simple and delicious!

Meat on a stick is good, too - I have a chiminea out back for that....

Enjoy your wapiti!

Brian
Old 03-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

Here is something i tried and was awsome. I took elk steaks and just browned them on each side then laid in a glass baking pan. Placed some chopped onions, and a can of mushrooms over them with some salt, pepper, and few spices. Took a can of beef broth heated and stirred in a flower thickening to make a gravy. Poured that over the steaks and baked for around an hour or so at 375. Now with some mash taters, and another veggy totaly awsome.
Mike
Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Gold Member

Here is something else, did a lot since i started this thread few months ago. I made some sausage with some of the ground meat. I just used the Morton's sausage and meatloaf spice. Now i like my sausage with some spice so i kept on mixing, and frying small pieces till i got it to my taste. I ended up with close twice the amount of mortons they call for like 1 spoon per lb. of meat i was about at double then sprinkled some red pepper in also. Jimmy Dean will take a back seat to my elk sausage.
Mike
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

We cook Elk just like beef in most cases just a lot leaner cut of meat. For the hamburger we mix the cheapest hamburger we can buy with elk so it has some fat (how much fat do you like in your hamburger depends on how much you mix with the lean elk meat. You probally won't even notice the difference in taste of beef if the elk was properly taken care of. One of my favorite recipes is take a back strap about 12 inches long slice a grove in it about 1 and a half inches deep fill the grove with some onion, garlic, celery or anything you really like then wrap about 6 slises of thick pepper smoked bacon around it for the grease and extra flavor. Cook in oven at 250 degrees until medium rare. My family has been eating ELK for over twenty years. One of the best wild game meats you can have. Big Horn sheep was the best game meat I have had.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

The very very best elk T-bones I've had were done Chef Paul Prudehome's blackening method.

Cooked a ton of them for a bunch of people that day. Looked like my face and arms were sunburned. Then cast iron skilled is maintained @ just before turning red......

Use some Chef Paul's Cajun Meat Magic and unsalted butter.

Heat the skillet until the "cast iron seasoning - oil" turns to a grey ash. Your then ready to cook. Uses lots of propane.

Rub the stake with the seasoning. Don't be hesitant about getting enough on. (I don' think you could over do it.)

Dip in melted butter.

Sling onto the skillet. It will immediately flash to flame. It'll smoke like a signal fire. The steak floats on the flaming butter. Cook about as along as you can mentally take the stress of thinking you're ruining a great stake. (never happen!)

Pour butter over the top and flip it over. More flames. Cook till you get anxious again.

It will be BLACK, but thats just the butter crust. Nice and spicie. Not hot. Trans forms a piece of elk/salmon/beef/pork into something out of this world.

Be careful with the cast iron skillet. If you drop it it will break.......really.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Silver Member

Right out of the refrigerator, cold smoked until it reaches room temperature, then barbecue grill it or pan fry it with a small dab of your favorite oil in the bottom of a cast iron skillet. p.s. making sure your Elk comes to room temp before cooking makes a big difference!