Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

Elk Roast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Gold Member

Elk Roast

Had a elk sirloin roast for dinner Sun, thought i'd share the recipe with ya. Will also work for venison.
This one is a no brainer, you guys can impress your wives and girl friends.
I let it set for awhile in some worstershire sauce--optional. In a shallow pan set roast and garnish with dried cherries and cranberries. Sprinkle a package of Lipton's Recipe Secrets Onion soup on it and I added a cup or so of red wine (can subsitute chicken broth). Loosely cover with foil, this roast was about 4#. I let it go 1Ĺ hours at 350*. Don't overcook. I like to see the outer slices pink and more rare toward the center.
Try it, you'll be having kind thoughts of me when ya dig in.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

One of my most favorite meals is deer or elk front shoulder roast cooked in a dutch oven on a wood stove here at the ranch during the winter. I donít have any left this year but have copied your recipe down and will give it a try next winter. Am always tryin to improve my cookin skills.

Jim

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Good Stuff.. That Onion Soup Mix can be used in so much stuff.. Thanks for sharing... Did you ever post the story???

Jason
The New Mexico Sportsman updated 2/6/08
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

I'm grumpy! What the odds of me ever getting an elk roast? I can't shoot, I can't hunt and am too skeer'd to poach.

One of these days one will stumble in front of my vehicle. Geeze, I wonder if the little Sidekick has enough sectional density to do the job.:confused:
Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 PM

I love the comment, I think you have the sectional density, but calculating the wind drift and true BC could be an issue
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I'm grumpy! What the odds of me ever getting an elk roast? I can't shoot, I can't hunt and am too skeer'd to poach.

One of these days one will stumble in front of my vehicle. Geeze, I wonder if the little Sidekick has enough sectional density to do the job.:confused:
:p;):p
I may have to send you one for the laugh.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Gold Member

No Respect

If you take the time to look at this forum there is a thread expressly for humor. This thread is titled Cook's Corner and not to be taken lightly.
Out of the goodness of my heart, I took the time to share my elk roast recipe with you guys.
I can honestly say my cooking has always been taken seriously. Those dining on the meals I prepare never smile, joke or laugh at my table. Although I have noticed a strange look on their face as they're headin' for the door. Always figured it was graditute. I've been told more than once that it was a meal they'll never forget.
My friends need to take more time for themselves, they're all so busy anymore especially when I mention coming over for a meal. Sometimes, I just surprise em, wait til they're there and announce "supper time". Then hurry up and lock the door!!!
Today, I'm gonna cook some dead chicken. Anybody free, stop on in.