Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

Deep Freeze Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 08:21 PM

Deep Freeze Questions

I apologize if this is not the proper place to put this, but I have a couple questions

First, last summer my deep freezer was was in our garage and the breaker flipped, twice. I did not discover it the second time until it was too late, and most of the meat had gone bad. The smell, is awful. I scrubbed the unit clean with some 409, and moved it indoors flipped it back on and stuck a baking soda freshener inside of it, this has not resolved the foul odor, and subsequently I have not placed any meat inside of it. What would be the best solution to this?

Second. After I pick up my meat from the processors this year, is there any advantage to vacuum sealing everything? Or will it all be fine and avoid freezer burn in the paper wrappers?

Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Deep Freeze Questions

Rinse your freezer out with a light bleach solution (1 or 2oz of bleach to a gallon of water). that will sanitize the freezer. Then set it on its coldest setting and put the baking soda in there. That's what I would do.

In terms of vacuum packing meat, I've never done it. I butcher my own deer and wrap everything in plastic wrap and have not had any problems with freezer burn.

Because I butcher my own deer and it's easy, it always makes me wonder why anyone would let someone else handle their butchering chores. Aren't you worried that the meat you're getting back is not yours? how about the processor's sanitation? I've heard and seen some real horror stories.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

The bleach and hot water is the best and only thing that will work, may be a loss though. Vacuum packaging is great but you need to watch what mil thickness you are getting, under 4mills is no good however it has no freezer burn advantage to wrapping with clear film and then freezer paper. Used to be a wildgame processor

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 AM

I will let this freezer thaw out, and give the bleach solution a try, I didn't know if that would damage the freezer that is why I just used 409 in the first place.

Thanks for the advice guys
Old 07-21-2011, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The bleach and hot water is the best and only thing that will work, may be a loss though. Vacuum packaging is great but you need to watch what mil thickness you are getting, under 4mills is no good however it has no freezer burn advantage to wrapping with clear film and then freezer paper. Used to be a wildgame processor
I wouldn't worry about using hot water. It's the bleach that is doing the work.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Bleach and water mix. I use a vacuum sealer all the time. I process my own meat because of most locker plants take the weight of meat you have and mix it with others to make a batch of hamburger, sasuage, ETC and give you back the weight you turned in but you have no idea how the other animals were taken care of. If you take your elk to a state that doesn't have any Elk the meat packing might have a few samples of your elk since he doesn't see elk very often. Vacuum sealing is usually good for two years in frezzer. Like always you get what you pay for. Buy a good vacuum sealer.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 PM

I got my freezer outside to let the ice that has come back thaw out, I am going to try to mix up a bleach mix tomorrow and give it another good scrub.

Just FYI, there is not even a trace of blood left in this thing from the last time I cleaned it.

Also, I would love to process my own meat, however until I have my own place to hunt, I don't see this being a possibility, I ask for no meat to be added at the processors, and have turned right around and walk out of processors before when I have seen less than savory conditions.