Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

Cast iron Cookware??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cast iron Cookware??

Jeff....

What is the titaninum thing all about??

Inquiring minds want to know
Old 10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Jeff....

What is the titaninum thing all about??

Inquiring minds want to know
LOL,well that was a while back but Gamedog, I and another friend were camped out shooting long range Prairie dogs. We forgot a pan so I cooked breakfast up in a titanium mess kit bowl. If you have never tried to scramble eggs in bacon grease in a paper thin titanium pan it is a task. Its all or nothing for heat. Lets just say it was not the best breakfast w had ever eaten.

Jeff
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

+1 on buying US made cast iron. Years ago when i was a we little lad parents bought some cast iron pans and they seasoned them and made some Beans in them and to this day If i think about it I can still taste the metal. it was the worse thing I have tasted and will never buy cast made from china. or from any other source other then good USA
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

I use cast for just about every thing, cept boiling water and baking. Season it with and only use olive oil to store it, never touch it with soap for the first year, get a pumice brick.
Currently I have 2-12" 1-10"' 1-8", 1-6"' 1-4" skillets, a dutch oven, and 2 little 5" shallow skillets (kid got em for xmas one year with a pancake kit). when you get a good seasoned pan (takes time) their just about indestructable.

Forgot to mention the 2-1/4" thick diamond plate griddles i made before i got out of welding, heavy as all get out but oh boy nothin sticks to those things!
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

I like cast iron cooking also.

I would like to hear helpful steps to follow in seasoning a brand new cast iron cookware and helpful tips for reseasoning recently used cast iron cookware.

If you have a great dutch oven recipie I will try it

thanks
to all very helpful advice
Focus your attention on the obstacles you have over came in your life. The question is did you overcome these obstacles all by yourself??? If you think you did (“self made man”) you are wrong and your obstacles will grow stronger and will be repeatedly repeated until you realize just how truly feeble you really are. Give credit to your Creator and ask for his guidance in overcoming future obstacles. .-RD ORR
Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

mostly i just keep it oiled, oil it before you cook, oil it after and heat it up to help it penetrate the metal, never use soap for atleast a year maybe 2
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Bronze Member

New cast seems to have coarser grain than ...old.....i do have a Griswold but I dont see packing a Do worth several hundred dollars to the woods. I have some cheap that has worked but most of my kit is LODGE.

LODGE IS GOOD STUFF.

For my friend with the Teflon prefference.......teflon man made coating long lasting effects of exposure are yet unknown ( lil paranoid?? asaphene, asbestos, phenenol, and for those old enough Ford Pinto's)

Cast is non stick by virtue of seasoning which is a creative way of saying the pores are so filled with carbon that it has a slick finish. If you look at seasoning like finishing a piece of furniture....Start with clean open pores in the surface apply the finish in layers. The carbon finish is achieved but by coating it with oil getting hot letting it cool and repeat. Repeat until you are too old to use it. a good fire on a summer night and a can of veg shortening is a good way to get a new pan seasoned. Coat inside and out use your welding gloves .....set her in get her smoking set aside let cool....Next morning wipe all the smoke off wipe down with oil and put away till time to cook.

Enjoy.