Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

Boudin balls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Boudin balls

Boys, ya'll got credentials. It's even more of a miracle if both of you ain't at least 30 lbs overweight.

Bon appetit, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

30 lbs overweight...almost there, I hope to get the rest of the way there by having the Misses try your recipe. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I been thinking about something Roy said. He may not have been joking either. About a year ago, I started pecan smoking bite size chunks, or 1/4" thick slices, of Spam just for grins. Hard to believe, but it makes it taste pretty good. The slices make a pretty good sandwich. He may be onto something making "Spam Balls". I'll have to try it! The ironic thing is that fairly crappy tasting Spam is more expensive than the same weight of good tasting Boudin!

Tom

Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Guys,

Moved to St. Charles Parish some time in '81. Gained 30 lbs the first month.

Learned that soft shelled crab gave me a major thyroid problem. Throat and face swelled to the point that my neck went away. Had trouble breathing.

Took 6 months to learn the cause and 6 months to learn that I could live with it.

Thyroid is now dead. Take supplements. I think eating at Sal's in Luling done it in.

Tom, now I know you'll do to ride the trail with! I was just kiddin' about the spam thing. You already tried it........

Reminds me of when driving down the road with a local fella and noted the number of those white cattle egrets in the pastures. He nonchalantly replied that if the things were any good to eat you'd wouldn't see a one of them.

Necks are good for crawfishin' though.

PS: Didn't loose the 30 #s until Dec '09 when my spleen was yanked out.

Last edited by royinidaho; 03-07-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Platinum Member

Royinidaho, thyroid, went through that with the misses took 3 months to figure out she had, I forget now whether it's hypo or hyper but Synthroid 135mg does the trick and all is normal. Hope all's good with you too.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Same dose here. Keeps ya from freezing in the winter.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

It's waaaay off the thread, but did ya'll hear about the Cajun who was in federal court being tried for killing a whooping crane? He was in deep doo-doo. Had been caught way out in the swamp, eating the whooper. Given a chance to speak for himself after the defense rested, he told his story. "I was lost for 4 days in dat swamp and was plenty hongry wen I saw dis big bird. I snuck close enough in de watta to knock him out wit a stick. Den I was eatin 'im an de game warden found me. At firs, I was real glad to see him, but den he tol me I was unda arres' so here I am Judge, an I tell you, wen you bout to starve, you gonna eat sumptin, an dat's wat happen.

The Judge gave him a chewing out for getting lost, a misdemeanor sentence even though it's a federal felony crime, and 6 months probation. After adjourning court, the Judge, a midwesterner, stopped the very relieved Cajun and said; I'm very curious, what does a whooping crane taste like? The Cajun thought for a minute, and replied, well Judge, it tase a lot like Ball Eagle........

I think that it's an old joke, but down in the Chocahoula it could be true .

I used to work on a shrimp boat, and we sold a lot of shrimp in Cameron, Grand Isle, and up the Bayou LaFourche at Golden Meadows. I was 17 yrs old, and decided if I wasn't a Redneck, I would want to be a Coonass. Golden Meadows had a Catholic Church, a shrimp and net house, a Service Station, a small grocery and clothing store, and FIVE hellaciously big dance halls. What a place!!!!!

Tom