Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

Boudin balls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Boudin balls

I don't know if boudin is available everywhere, but where it is, this is a tasty meat dish.

Take about 4 links of boudin and cut them crossways into approx 1/2" thick slices. Thoroughly mix up 1 egg and about 1/2 cup of buttermilk or canned milk. Put that in a 1 gallon ziplock. Then put about a cup of Zatarain's or Tony Chacere's dry fish fry mix in another gallon ziplock.

Put all the pcs of sliced boudin in the ziplock with the egg / milk, seal it and slosh them around until all the slices are well covered. Then take them out and drop all of them one by one into the bag with the dry batter mix, seal the bag and tumble the slices until all are well coated.

Heat up enough cooking oil, (1" to 1 1/2" deep) in a medium to large boiler(until a drop of water pops and splatters), then carefully drop the slices in one at a time, about 10 - 12 slices, and deep fry them for 5 minutes or so until they are light brown (or darker if you like). Dip them out with a big slotted spoon that will drain them some, and put them on a plate or something covered with several layers of paper towel and let them cool. 4 links will make 40 - 50 pieces.

For those of you who are familiar with boudin, my packaging will make sense. I have a friend who gave me some medical "Bio Hazard" ziplocks and I enjoy putting the cooled boudin balls in them for storage. Redneck humor maybe?

Give 'em a try. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 03-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Boudin balls

Sounds tasty.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Coonass cookin' in TX. Who wooda thunk it!! Can't get the stuff in ID

I go through the Tony's likes its salt and make my own seasoning mixes from chef paul's books.

What if I tried your process with SPAM..... I'll find something it will work with.

Yep, that's why Mr. Boudin never had any kids...........Boudin balls.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Chas1, when you find the right one, they're addictive. My favorite grocery store brand so far is Holmes Smokehouse, but the best I ever ate was from Chief's Meat Market in Jennings, Louisiana. Steer clear of Larry's Cajun Boudin though. It has chunks of liver, (or something), the size of your thumb. Hell, they might be thumbs.

Roy, you've sure been somewhere besides Idaho. You've got to be the only person in Idaho who knows that boudin is Cajun. I hadn't ever thought about how fortunate we are to have plenty of great TexMex, Cajun, and Soul food all in one place. It's miraculous that I'm only 30 lbs overweight.

Bon Chance, et laisses le bon temps rollez. Tom

That's all the French I know that's printable.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

I must have punched the button twice last night.

Tom

Last edited by specweldtom; 03-06-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Tom,

Lived up river from NOLA for 7 years. Have two children born there. Ate ersters for the first time there.

I make a mean gumbo and sauce picante. May even try some Idaho game in it.

Rockchuck sauce picante.

One of the better meals in my memory us Miss Mary's boiled turkey necks and cabbage after an extra long trying day.

My skin may be white but a good percentage of my taste buds are black.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

Specweldtom, addictive!!! I know, eatin many. My wife's 1/2 cajun and her momma's 100%. Her whole family lives in LA-Baton Rogue, Praireville and so on.