Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

The Best Brine for Smoking Salmon.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

The Best Brine for Smoking Salmon.

Depending on the number of fish, I would start out with a Gallon of Apple Juice, add Kosher Salt till you can float an egg. Let Salmon set in Brine 4 hours/to 6 hours. make sure you use food safe Bowl or a 5 Gallon Pail(food safe) set in cool place for brine time. after brining dab dry with paper towls get a good smoke going with Green Maple wood and if you can toss in some Green Apple wood mix, it would be great! after a good smoke has started place fish on racks first spray racks with Pam. Than place racks of fish into Smoker for 5 Hrs never over 180 Degrees.

NOTE! make sure you have plenty of open vent to let the moisture out. If you ignore this the Fish will be like mush.
Never let your smoke turn to fire.
Don't use Cider(it's to sweet).
Just buy the cheapest Apple Juice, it will work fine.

Remember!!!!open vent to let out moisture..if you ignore this, your fish will be garbage.
and never let your smoker fire up, if it does spray apple juice on wood.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The Best Brine for Smoking Salmon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
Depending on the number of fish, I would start out with a Gallon of Apple Juice, add Kosher Salt till you can float an egg. Let Salmon set in Brine 4 hours/to 6 hours. make sure you use food safe Bowl or a 5 Gallon Pail(food safe) set in cool place for brine time. after brining dab dry with paper towls get a good smoke going with Green Maple wood and if you can toss in some Green Apple wood mix, it would be great! after a good smoke has started place fish on racks first spray racks with Pam. Than place racks of fish into Smoker for 5 Hrs never over 180 Degrees.

NOTE! make sure you have plenty of open vent to let the moisture out. If you ignore this the Fish will be like mush.
Never let your smoke turn to fire.
Don't use Cider(it's to sweet).
Just buy the cheapest Apple Juice, it will work fine.

Remember!!!!open vent to let out moisture..if you ignore this, your fish will be garbage.
and never let your smoker fire up, if it does spray apple juice on wood.
Thanks KC !!!!

I love smoked salmon and I will have to try this.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: The Best Brine for Smoking Salmon.

Every one that I smoke fish for loves this..realy I smoke about 250lbs each year for all my friends. They catch the fish and I smoke them.