Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

Antelope Tenderloin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Bronze Member

Antelope Tenderloin

Can anyone tell me how to prepare the tenderloin before cooking and how to cook it. This is my first antelope and don't have a clue. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim
Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Re: Antelope Tenderloin

Congratulations on your first antelope. While preparing the meat, be sure to cut all of the "striffen" off of the outside of the tenderloin. Then butterfly cut the tenderloin into steak size pieces. Next, I thoroughly rinse the meat under cold water. I then like to take a mixture of flour, seasoning salt, red pepper, black pepper and a touch of chili powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl have a couple of eggs. Take each steak and dip it into the egg, then into the flour mix, and then back into the egg again. This will ensure the breading will stay on the meat during cooking. I like to use an electric skillet with enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom. Turn it up to about medium heat and cook your steaks until they turn a golden brown on the outside. This is a quick fix, and is quite tasty.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Bronze Member

Sharpshooterbr,

To my surprise,We done everything except the red pepper, black pepper and the chili powder. I am trying to think what the chili powder is going to do to the taste?????. Looking forward to trying it soon!!!!! Thanks and I will let you know how well it turns out.

Jim
Old 10-21-2008, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

my old standby recipe for tenderloin is to wrap in bacon and grill it. i normally would marinate it in whatever you prefer....plain old spicey italian dressing works great.....then wrap and pin with bacon.....wrap in alum foil ....cook on low heat on grill.......dont over-cook it.....medium rare is just right...mm mm good...AJ
Old 10-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Personally, I prefer grilled tenderloin....

Marinade meat in marinade of your choice. I find that 24 hours in the marinade is great.

Light you grill and get it to about 450 or 500 degrees. Put your tenderloin on the grill and close the cover. After about five minutes, open grill and turn the meat over and pour any left-over marinade you have on the meat. Close the cover. Let cook for about five minutes. If you like rare meat, it's done. If you like medium rare, turn the grill down and let cook for another five minutes or so. Then take the meat off and tent it in foil for about ten minutes. Slice thin and serve..mmmmm.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

jpruit - are you talking about the tenderloin or backstap (loin)? These are different although the same recipes can apply to both -- but cooking time may be different. The tenderloin on an antelope is not very big and will only feed 2 people -- but only if you serve it sparingly. The tenderloin (fillet migon cut in beef) is found on the inside of the gut cavity. The backstap or loins are found ofcourse on the outside of the carcass on each side of the backbone.

My favorite recipe for the tenderloin is simply to saute both tenderloin strips (whole and unseasoned) in a generous amount of butter (real butter). Lightly brown on all sides on medium heat, but do not overcook. This is best if the meat is still pink on the inside when sliced. Add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Jack Danniel whiskey (or any good bourbon). Then let simmer for a few minutes. Remove the tenderloin strips and slice at an angle, place slices back into skillet to ensure coating of the liquid on all surfaces of the cutlets and then season (salt/pepper) and serve immediately with plenty of juice. Dont worry about the alcohol -- it all cooks off quickly. This recipe also works well for backstap but I like to first cut the backstap into cutlets or steaks before cooking. Be sure to remove as much of the connective tissue as possible from the backstap before cooking though. Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Antelope tenderloins are so small and mushy that I just grind 'em.

A quick yet delicious way to cook the backstraps (trimmed of course) is to soak the steaks in a mixture of heavy table cream and whipped egg, then dredge in Progresso Italian Style breadcrumbs and fry just like sharpshooterbr said. I liven mine up with a little cayenne powder as well.