Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Cooks' Corner

ageing your venison for table fare?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Gold Member

Re: ageing your venison for table fare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken snyder View Post
I do not age my Deer or Elk 1 second more than it takes to get it quartered and in the freezer. (almost frozen butchers out a lot nicer) As far as water goes, not on my life will I. If washing is necessary I use salt brine with as much salt as the water will hold. Treat it with all the precautions you would use for butchering Chicken or Pork and it will always be good on a fork.
I like the brine idea for rinsing. I may give it a try this year.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Gold Member

If I shoot a big swamp buck, I skin it when its in the garage, than wrap it in a blanket of cheez cloth and it hangs for two weeks if it cold enough. Once its frozen I can start scraping the fat off.
That goes out back with the hide to feed the birds.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM

I think that one of the most important things is to get meat chilled after gutting in field, pack cavity in ice or if you have a large ice chest meat inside full of ice It will make all the difference in the world. Proper processing and keeping meat cold will bring the year with best tasting and enjoying meals for venison.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Bronze Member

Interesting to read about you guys hanging your venison.
I am in Ireland and have a soda fridge that stays between 2-5 degrees.
As was stated in a previous post I hang for two to three weeks, depending on size of deer. Meat is always melt in the mouth.
Are there people out there who just freeze immediately?
Meat must be tough when eating.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

I have had venison done a lot of ways but I have a butcher that will skin it 10 minutes after I shoot it and process it the next day after it cools in the cold room. This has produced the best tasting meat for me. They do not have some semi-trailer fill of dead deer and give you back meat on a per pound deal. Some of these farmers have no fricking idea about meat- EWWW! Deer are processed immediately if not sooner and hung to "age" only on demand.

That said This years Black Hills buck hung in the tree for 8 days and was good but was frozen after a day or two and there were no flies or anything after it. We will pepper the openings to keep insects off the carcasses. I don't think the carcass should be frozen immediately.

I shoot them and cruise over and drop them off and in 2 days I have fresh frozen meat and it is awesome-none bad yet. Sausage is done in 3-4 days and they make some of the best jalapeno pepper jack summer sausage I have ever had and I have had the world championship winning summer sausage. I have people that are going to go there next year and they are going to be busy making jalapeno pepper jack summer sausage!
Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

I asked my uncle (he was a butcher his entire adult life) about aging game years ago.

His response was "you age beef to allow the fat in the muscle fibers to break down, biggame does not have that fat in the muscle fibers so all you are doing when you age game is letting it rot". "Get it in the freezer asap, don't worry about cutting your steaks just leave them in 1 big chunk, you can cut them when you thaw it, and game cared for this way can keep for up to a year or more IF your careful about keeping it clean"

I'm not going to question anything this uncle says about processing meat. What I can tell you is that I haven't had any gamey meat in years after following his advice. Infact I cooked some deer roasts last week (think pulled pork) from last fall, when I thawed them you would have never known they had been frozen for 11 months.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Bronze Member

That is an interesting post.
I put my deer in a cooler fridge at one to five degrees and leave it there for two weeks at least, three weeks if a bigger animal. The meat is always tender and tasty.
I will butcher the next one I shoot and fry some up there and then and see what that tastes like. I have tried eating goat straight after the hunt and was unable to chew the meat, after leaving it hang for a week it was tender and melt in the mouth.