Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Would you go on a high country hunt with your best friends or buy yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Bronze Member

Would you go on a high country hunt with your best friends or buy yourself

Would you go on a high country hunt with your best friends or buy yourself? I would go with my friends what about you guys?
Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Would you go on a high country hunt with your best friends or buy yourself

Both ways have their rewards.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 PM
Bronze Member

A friend would slow you down. One of my friends is really short and we took a 5 mile hike and he was always in the back and me and another friend had to always wait on him. He was also very loud and always slipped and fell. He also forget my friends turkey call and we had to walk back and get it.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

1 friend at most. Backcountry hunting is something that is tailored to one doing the hunting. It hard to fit a backcountry hunt to 2 guys let alone more than that. Mostly I like to hunt by myself in the backcountry so I don't have to worry about what someone else wants to do.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

The last "backpack" hunt I was on was post neck fusion, but pre knee replacement. My friends carried every thing but my goat tag. When I filled that they carried it as well. On your own beats poor companions, but can't compare to the being there with the right people.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Field Editor

For me it comes down to - Does your friend "want it" as bad as you do? High country hunts are tough and there always seem to be a few moments during them when it's hard not to let your mind wander and start thinking of all the other fun, easy things you could be doing right then rather than kicking your own butt relentlessly. I've hunted with guys where I could tell they were having those thoughts a lot more often than I was and it ended up slowing me down and causing me to not work as hard as I normally would. That's a recipe for tag soup.

On the other hand, when I hunt with partners who want it just as bad as I do, I have those negative thoughts way less often because they help me stay positive and get through the tough times with a smile. Plus there's nothing like celebrating success with a great buddy!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

My vote goes to "with friends." I would prefer it to be someone who is passionate for the hunt and wants to be there. I have some hunting partners where we barely leave the pickup and glass from the road, and other partners where we'll go backpacking and walk 15+ miles.

Either way, I enjoy hunting with my friends and sharing the memories with someone else.