Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
So why are you taking low percentage shots in the first place if it's an unwounded animal? No animal deserves to be shot at on a wing and a prayer basis, whether it's a coyote or an elk IMHO!!!
Those are judgement calls that only the shooter is in a position to make. With the exception of archery which I don't do any more, I don't recall any big game not making it to the freezer. Opportunity is where you find it and if I waited for circumstances to be "just right" I never would have done anything. That said, I think we all pass on shots we think we shouldn't make.

Anyway, why does a hunting rifle need to group more than a couple shots? It probably doesn't but in my world, I'd feel better if it did.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

From your post previous to mine, if you read what you stated, you are saying you have take a number of "low percentage" shots, so I think my question was more than appropriate. You say first shots are hiitting trees, etc. and are talking about shooting at jumped running animals before you possibly get a good 3rd or 4th standing shot at a distance. Now you're responding again that it's up to the person doing the shooting. That's correct, but what you stated just doesn't sound like a responsible way to humanely take an animal. You say every game animal has gone in the freezer, but I would also question how you can make that statement if you're shooting at running game in heavy timber. I'm not trying to get into a big argument or anything, but I hope if you read your posts again that you could see why someone would be asking these questions.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So why are you taking low percentage shots in the first place if it's an unwounded animal? No animal deserves to be shot at on a wing and a prayer basis, whether it's a coyote or an elk IMHO!!!

coyotes always get shot at!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
From your post previous to mine, if you read what you stated, you are saying you have take a number of "low percentage" shots, so I think my question was more than appropriate. You say first shots are hiitting trees, etc. and are talking about shooting at jumped running animals before you possibly get a good 3rd or 4th standing shot at a distance. Now you're responding again that it's up to the person doing the shooting. That's correct, but what you stated just doesn't sound like a responsible way to humanely take an animal. You say every game animal has gone in the freezer, but I would also question how you can make that statement if you're shooting at running game in heavy timber. I'm not trying to get into a big argument or anything, but I hope if you read your posts again that you could see why someone would be asking these questions.
To be real honest, my dad, grand dads, and great grand dads would all get up out of their graves and flat beat the snot out of me for just flinging lead around the woods in such a manner.

If you don't have a clean shot don't pull the damned trigger.

I won't hesitate to take running shots but only in open country. Aside from the very high likelihood of game running off lost to die and be wasted in heavy cover you simply cannot track a running animal to get a clean shot while also being able to see absolutely everything that might be in the path of each bullet.

Damned good way to kill something, or even someone and never even know it because you are too busy and too focused on keeping the track while flipping another round in for the follow up.

To each their own, but damn I'm glad I don't have to worry about sharing hunts with people who take such low percentage, high risk shots.

If I had a client do that even once in the course of a guided hunt, the hunt would be over instantly with no refunds.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

Amen WildRose!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I believe I said "lower" instead of low. A small but notable difference.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure those shots hit trees. They just didn't hit the critter. I'll concede your point. It's hard to defend a position that the shot that missed was the right shot to make. I'm not proud of any shot that I've missed, none the less, I wouldn't have taken it if I didn't think I could make it. Also, I didn't say I only shoot running animals. I recall only 2 in the afore mentioned scenario. Everything else was standing, walking or such and to date, to the best of my recollection, they've all found the freezer. My point here is not to advocate shooting at running game but it illustrate how a hunter can find himself with a warm barrel and still need another well placed shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
To be real honest, my dad, grand dads, and great grand dads would all get up out of their graves and flat beat the snot out of me for just flinging lead around the woods in such a manner.

If you don't have a clean shot don't pull the damned trigger.

I won't hesitate to take running shots but only in open country. Aside from the very high likelihood of game running off lost to die and be wasted in heavy cover you simply cannot track a running animal to get a clean shot while also being able to see absolutely everything that might be in the path of each bullet.

Damned good way to kill something, or even someone and never even know it because you are too busy and too focused on keeping the track while flipping another round in for the follow up.

To each their own, but damn I'm glad I don't have to worry about sharing hunts with people who take such low percentage, high risk shots.

If I had a client do that even once in the course of a guided hunt, the hunt would be over instantly with no refunds.
I approve of your fore fathers parenting methods.

Respectfully, you weren't there. Only in your imagination do those safety concerns exist. I might also point out that as a Guide, you have no clue who your sharing a hunt with yet somehow you know me? I've shared a camp a few times with the "I think, therefore I'm right" crowd. They're always getting into trouble. I'll try to contain my grief knowing that hunting with me is off your bucket list.

Curious... does your Winchester EW say " Morgan UT" on it?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

"Plenty of times I didn't get them until the 3rd or 4th shot. I know, you hear someone in the woods empty his gun and you say to yourself, "there's another one that got away" but you never really know. Also, the 4th or 5th shots might be the only standing shot I get"

So what is the real situation here? Go back and read all of the various comments you're made in your posts on this thread before the last couple where we've mentioned them. Now you come back at us and say it was only once or twice when previously you have stated things that make it look like that's a common occurence the way you hunt. However, you put that in that quoted post above and you don't expect any criticism, LOL! Read it to yourself and don't tell me that sounds like a guy that knows what in the he** he's doing to humanely and safely take an animal! I guess maybe you're also one of those that thinks because you use that .338 that you can shoot them in the tail and they'll drop! Maybe drop a tree or two on them with those first several shots that hit timber and that bull/buck will stop for the tree to fall before he keeps going! Sorry, but you have made way too many statements in all your posts for us not to think like that!