Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
For those that may be curious as to how well the new Win 70's shoot. I have a load with the 200 grain Accubond and RL17 that produces sub .25" groups at 100 and has been verified several times. The rifle has printed 3/4" to 1" groups at 300 yards with the same load.
be nice to know the cal.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph cockrell View Post
be nice to know the cal.
Sorry, it's a 300 WSM.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

nice shooting brentc. I think that Ill remember that load combo.
A good friend of mine just got into hunting last year and I convinced him to buy a m70 in the extreme weather. It just has to many good features for $900CAD. I was hoping that he would get a 300WSM but he went for the straight 300WIN.

After releaving the barrel channel and bedding the action we ran some factory loads with 180 accubonds through it just to get him used to the rifle while he found all the reloading components he wanted. the groups were not that great, about 1.25 MOA at 100 yards, but my chrono gave an extreme pread of less than 10fps (i cant remember exactly what the velocity was). I figured that human erreor was the culprit in the big groups. We tore into a new box from a diffrent lot # and the velocity started fluctuating much more.
After we developed several loads with 180 Accubonds we could not get the groups better than 1MOA, and that was rare. We switched to E-tips and the rifle has been shooting alot more constistant at just under 1MOA.

My personal feelings on the rifle are that it is one heck of a rifle for the money. The machining quality is good, the action very smooth, the stock is great and the barrle is decent. The downers were the trigger... which wasnt that bad having very little creep or play, but it was heavy. an just the fact that the barrel channel needed love'in. over all I think that the rifle is great. comparable to senduro quality in a light rifle.

I think that my friends rifle would shine more if more time was spent on load development and he was a more seasoned shooter (he's well on his way though). I would recommend this rifle to anyone looking for a solid hunting/sporter wieght rifle. This is coming from a remmy guy too.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

You can get that trigger down to two pounds pretty easily. Any more than that will take some experimenting. Lighter springs are available along with backing the adjustment screw all the way out will get it down to 2- 2.25 lbs.

Also, if you absolutely must have it lighter that 2 lbs, Jard makes a drop in featuring different pull weights.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

I have 3 of them for project builds (300wsm). first one just came home from MG arms, Pac Nor barrel 23", super eliminator muzzle brake, Texas Zebra kevlar stock, talley bases and QD lever rings, Leupold 3.5 - 10 X 50 CDS, awesome looing rifle, I will get some pics of it up soon. Honest .52" @ 200 yards.

Next one is on the way to hill country rifles, McMillan sporter stock, olive drab with black web, hart #5 barrel, 23", crekote on all metal, talley bases and rings,

3rd one is going to be turned into a 325wsm with 22" barrel for quick work bear.

I might scope one and shoot it before I send it off just to see how they do, I just love em
Old 09-01-2011, 02:08 PM

I just picked up my brand new EWSS in .270 yesterday and I'm super impressed (paid $824.oo out the door). The fit and finish are superb and the trigger breaks like glass. It was set somewhere in the 4-5lb area from the factory, although I didn't measure it. The first thing I did was scrape the gunk out of the trigger adjustment screws with some dental tools. I then had to heat the area with a blowdryer to loosen the gunk that was still stuck in the screw head. Once I got that out of the way I adjusted the trigger down pretty light but not enough to let the screw fall out. Then I cleaned the rifle and put it away. I measured the trigger today and it's breaking at 2lbs. 3oz. with zero overtravel.

Now for deciding what optics to buy. I'm thinking a new 30mm Trijicon or a Zeiss is in order. As always, I'll be using the Talley lightweight one piece ring/base.

I'll post a range report soon.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Bronze Member

Are these all in the 23" barrels?

Jake