Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM

Re: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

I had mine out of the stock again this morning to lighten the trigger up a bit more, still a tad heavy, the MOA trigger breaks well, but it'll never be a rifle basix LV!

WR is pretty much right on the bedding compound installed at factory. Very tight and as good as I'd do. I'll get my smithy mate to devcon skim bed it at a later date...
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Just read this thread for the first time... I've got a Win70 Extreme Weather SS too. After adjusting the MOA trigger to it's lowest setting, it breaks right at 2.75 lbs and very crisp. Like a few have said, it's not as good as some of the fancy ones you can buy, but I am very happy with it.

I also did a complete bedding job using Acraglas gel from Brownells. used a dremel to remove a bit of material from all the way around the action and front/rear lugs... I'm guessing that's what you guys are referring to as a skim bed ??

Was wondering if anybody out there has found an Aluminum 20 MOA scope rail for the WSM (short action) version of this rifle? I've found several steel rails but don't want steel as it will rust over time...
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Was wondering if anybody out there has found an Aluminum 20 MOA scope rail for the WSM (short action) version of this rifle? I've found several steel rails but don't want steel as it will rust over time...
Nope, I know that Nightforce list a Steel 20 MOA rail for it. Just get the thing cerakoted, then it'll never rust. I just use a 3.5-5X50 NXS. It'll get me out to 1000 without a canted base, thats far enough for this rifle.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375 Sledgehammer View Post
Nope, I know that Nightforce list a Steel 20 MOA rail for it. Just get the thing cerakoted, then it'll never rust. I just use a 3.5-5X50 NXS. It'll get me out to 1000 without a canted base, thats far enough for this rifle.
Good point on coating the rail. I will have to look in to that. Also kind of considering having the scope threads in the action redrilled and tapped for 8-40 base screws.

Right now I've just got a set of Talley rings (base/ring one piece), and after the whole setup is lapped I had to dial about 10 MOA of elevation (from the midpoint) to get the gun zero at 200 yards. I think I got unlucky with how the top surface of my M70 action was machined and it canted the action rings the wrong way.

The way it sits I can dial out to about 775 yards when I max out the elevation travel, which is plenty far for what I want out of my rifle. I would just prefer to have the optics more square for long shot.