Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

I hope you don't decide to take your "wannabe a comedian" act on the road because you aren't very good at it! IMHO it is up to all hunters to question any act that appears to be unsafe or unethical with hopes of correcting said action in that party and any others who might think the way they are doing something is the right way when it may not be. Sorry you may not agree with that, but that's the way a lot of us look at it. There's really no need for any more smart comebacks, but I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

I started this thread to talk about the Model 70 EW. If you dont want to talk about that gun or shooting it then take your ******* match elsewhere!!

If you want to have an one-on-one battle do it over PM so the rest of us dont have to be tainted by your BS!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry, but I don't call hunting safety BS!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Good for you! Go start a thread on hunting safety then!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Now who's being a wiseacre and prolonging this thread that you want back on track!!! "Sorry" was an apology in case you don't know what that word means and your friggin thread was started dang near 4 years ago and had been dead for 10 months!!!! PS: You also haven't even made a post since last August until tonight, so it looks like you're real interested in "your" thread, LOL!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM

Back on track...

I have one in 300WSM, love it. My observations of the rifle are that with the 1-10 twist tube in the 300WSM it doesn't seem to like light pills, anything over 180grains it seems to shoot well though.

As per others ob's, 3 shots generally hover just under MOA, 5 will blow em out to well over the MOA mark, but you gotta expect that with the fluted straw tube it's wearing as a barrel.

Its not a heavy barrel long range tack driver like others in the cabinet, but its the most "practical" everyday hunting rifle I own, and given the right conditions very capable out to around 700yrds.

I'm lobbing 190grain match bullets out of it at the moment. Will sort a 220 grain RN load for it later in the year for brush hunting Sambar, with any luck I can get it printing close enough to my 190 Match bullet so I dont have to rezero.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375 Sledgehammer View Post
Back on track...

I have one in 300WSM, love it. My observations of the rifle are that with the 1-10 twist tube in the 300WSM it doesn't seem to like light pills, anything over 180grains it seems to shoot well though.

As per others ob's, 3 shots generally hover just under MOA, 5 will blow em out to well over the MOA mark, but you gotta expect that with the fluted straw tube it's wearing as a barrel.

Its not a heavy barrel long range tack driver like others in the cabinet, but its the most "practical" everyday hunting rifle I own, and given the right conditions very capable out to around 700yrds.

I'm lobbing 190grain match bullets out of it at the moment. Will sort a 220 grain RN load for it later in the year for brush hunting Sambar, with any luck I can get it printing close enough to my 190 Match bullet so I dont have to rezero.
I'm jealous as hell of you guys and your Sambar Hunting!

Your feelings about your rifle are somewhat similar to mine. I was just disappointed in how light the barrel is as I was expecting something similar to the M 70 Laredo taper.

It is as you say though a great "go to carry rifle" that is very accurate as long as you are not trying to shoot over 3 shots in a short period of time and as I said, if you are doing your part, there should be no need for more than 3 shots.

I'll probably keep the EW model as is and take one of my other M70 300wm's and give it a make over for a longer range heavier gun as a backup to my 300 Rum should I ever take that Pack in Elk Trip I'm considering in the future or if I decide to go shoot a Moose or big Bear.