Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting


Reply

where oh where to put the tag

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: boonies,arizona
Posts: 13
Re: where oh where to put the tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbull View Post
Skin out the head and leave the tag attached to the ear. You don't need to have the skull and jaw bone.
now that is an exalent idea, im glad you said that cals i honestly dont think ida thalt about that, 2lbs or so of hide definately beats the heck out of 40lbs of head, my back thanks you
__________________
"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." -Daniel Boone.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 844
Re: where oh where to put the tag

I don't even skin the whole head, just around the ears so they can see there were no antlers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Idaho
Posts: 580
Re: where oh where to put the tag

Not sure about the state you are in but In Idaho
if the head is not attatched the tag must be on the biggest peice of meat which
must also have proof of sex on it.
I boned out mine this year and got was informed having the tag on the horns was a big mistake I left sex attached to a big peice of meat but put the tag on the horns. then I learned I was wrong
Ask the fish and game cops in your state before
retiredcpo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: boonies,arizona
Posts: 13
Re: where oh where to put the tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcpo View Post
Not sure about the state you are in but In Idaho
if the head is not attatched the tag must be on the biggest peice of meat which
must also have proof of sex on it.
I boned out mine this year and got was informed having the tag on the horns was a big mistake I left sex attached to a big peice of meat but put the tag on the horns. then I learned I was wrong
Ask the fish and game cops in your state before
retiredcpo
as desertbull was sayin its anlerless so a calf bull without horns breaking the hair line is legal to kill, in arizona tags are either antlered or antlerless in place of bull or cow witch i think helps when ur in the thick of it, its easyer to look for horns than uhhh proof of sex on galoping elk. is good to know not all states go by the same rules for sex seeing as im planin to start doing alot more out of state hunting this next year, ill have to make shure i read threw there rags carefuly
__________________
"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." -Daniel Boone.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Townsend MT
Posts: 70
Re: where oh where to put the tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertrat View Post
as desertbull was sayin its anlerless so a calf bull without horns breaking the hair line is legal to kill, in arizona tags are either antlered or antlerless in place of bull or cow witch i think helps when ur in the thick of it, its easyer to look for horns than uhhh proof of sex on galoping elk. is good to know not all states go by the same rules for sex seeing as im planin to start doing alot more out of state hunting this next year, ill have to make shure i read threw there rags carefuly
I thought lookin for horns was the same thing as looking for proof of sex.....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: boonies,arizona
Posts: 13
Re: where oh where to put the tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearpaw View Post
I thought lookin for horns was the same thing as looking for proof of sex.....
well since im new on hear i was tryin to be fairly politicaly corect so i used proof of sex inplace of balls(second best pc term i could think of)
__________________
"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days." -Daniel Boone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC