Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

where oh where to put the tag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 PM

where oh where to put the tag

i got an elk hunt comeing up and im gona pack in and hopefully pack an elk out, my question though is where the heck do u put the tag on a boned out cow elk? its ben a head scratcher for me
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: where oh where to put the tag

not sure on the game laws there, but its always a pretty good idea to leave proof of sex attached to the meat you are packing out. Other than that, throw the tag in the meat bag.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Bronze Member

i was always told the tag goes with the major portion of the meat. you could call the local FWP and they tell for sure though
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

AZ does not require proof of sex. The tag is for antlerless elk, not necessarily a cow. You could shooT a male elk as long as it does not have antlers that extend through the skin. (button bull, so to speak.) You need to be able to produce the head (showing no antlers) should the G&F ask for it. Slice a hole in the ear and put the tag there.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertbull View Post
AZ does not require proof of sex. The tag is for antlerless elk, not necessarily a cow. You could shooT a male elk as long as it does not have antlers that extend through the skin. (button bull, so to speak.) You need to be able to produce the head (showing no antlers) should the G&F ask for it. Slice a hole in the ear and put the tag there.
damb it i was worried that would be the case, i was hope'n to avoid have'n to pack out that hevy head,that'll only be an extra probaly 30-40 lbs, oh well gota stay all leagal. thanks for all the info
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Gold Member

In idaho you must leave proof of sex attatched to the largest peice of meat and the tag must be with it as well.
Dont make no sense to me but Had that discussion with F&G this year.
This means you have to cut everything up smaller by the book
retiredcpo
Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdesertrat View Post
damb it i was worried that would be the case, i was hope'n to avoid have'n to pack out that hevy head,that'll only be an extra probaly 30-40 lbs, oh well gota stay all leagal. thanks for all the info

Skin out the head and leave the tag attached to the ear. You don't need to have the skull and jaw bone.