Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Where to buy MRE's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Where to buy MRE's?

I've been looking around the net for MRE's to try, but I can't seem to find anyone that sells them in singles. I have only found one site that sells them seperate, the rest of them your have to buy a box of twelve meals.

I personally just want to buy a couple entre's just to see if I like them or not. I've heard some people say they like them and others say they hate them so I need to see for myself.

Also, where do you guys buy your MRE's? Is there a place where you can get them for really cheap? The cheapest and only place I found that sells them in singles is costs $2.95 per entre, is that a good price. That sounded high to me. I also wanted to use the heater bags to save on weight.

I'm planning an Elk trip in CO for the archery season in 2009 and that is why I want to start looking into these to see if I like them enough.

I would also like to know if I do end up liking them, can you order a box with just the entre's and not all the other stuff like crackers, jelly, spoons , etc...?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Imho

MRE's--I had to eat them when i was Wildland fire fighting. I know you want to try them for your self, but I would suggest the frez dried stuff at REI and a jet boil!

MRE's were not the worst thing I have eaten, but I have not sought them out for packing in on a hunt.

Check out some local army surplus stores. I haev seen them there.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

I used to see them in an on-base commisary(I'm not sure how to spell that but it is just the grocery store for active military bases) but it has been awhile and they may not sell them individually anymore.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Don't care for 'em myself. I have been pleased with the Mountain House freeze dried.

Believe you could pick up a couple mre's to try at an army navy surplus. Smith and Edwards in Willard Bay, Utah would surely send you some.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:15 AM
Bronze Member

mre

I didn't mind them but when you are out in the middle of nowhere and that is your only food anything tastes pretty good.I believe Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and internet sight sells the mountain house kind individually or check ebay they always have some of that stuff
Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

We get them from Cheaper Than Dirt. I think they are great, if I wasn't married, I think I could live on them. The only one I don't like is the beef & bean barrito. That one is tough. We usually get them w/o the heater, just put the ontre still in it's foil bag into a pot of hot water for a little bit. Eat right from the foil bag. No dishes, no fuss, doesn't get any better. The last thing I want to do in elk camp is cook and clean, especially in early season.

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

I like the newest version of MRE's with the heater in them. They are filling and they give you the right amount of Calories etc. that your body needs. They taste almost as good as the freeze dried in my opinion. Plus it is a complete meal. Freeze dried costs more if you want a complete meal.
I love Mountian house freeze dried foods from REI and other outdoor stores. Fred meyers sells them for a little cheaper I think and normally have a fair stock of them. REI has a great selection of freeze dried food.
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!
Coodinator Ore. Chpt. 4x4him.org
<><