Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

When were your kids old enough to backpack hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

When were your kids old enough to backpack hunt?

My oldest boy, Joshua, is seven years old. We've camped together multiple times and he likes it. He also loves shooting. We're still working on developing a love for the hunting part. I often look forward to the days when we get to go together on some good back-country hunts. He isn't yet interested in something quite so adventurous, but I think he's close.

So my question is: in your experience, what was the age when your kids began to really enjoy the back-country hunts, even with all the work that is involved with those trips?

Or maybe you can tell me your own experience growing up.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: When were your kids old enough to backpack hunt?

I started my boy early. This is him at 13. This was a hard core 3 hr. in dark in, then we pulled about 2000 verticle. I shot a nice buck,was going to let him take it but it had trash. The pack out did him in, 1/4 and strap. I had rest, and his gun, out in the dark. He is seventeen now and when I last saw him this year with elk 1/4 he was trotting out He dusted me
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
When were your kids old enough to backpack hunt?-wyatt-mf.jpg  
Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

I had my son tag along when he was little and wanted to when I could. I started hunting with him as soon as he was able to license up. The day hunts 6-8 hour hikes type thing. I did not take him on 2-3 day back pack hunts until he was 16 and quite skilled and able to take care of himself in the high country and bad weather.

What I noticed about me back then especially at the start was my worry about him especially when the weather would turn bad and I would lose track of him across the canyon or where ever his line was for a few hours. It ruined my hunting for a couple years. Every minute spent was worth it though and has paid off as now he is much more capable then I in the high country and great to hunt with.

When he was like 18 I think when he approached me one day during the summer and laid out how he wanted to work a particular canyon where he had seen a really good buck the previous season. I just smiled and thought to myself he's really hooked now. Mentally hunting deer in July.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

At 7 we took my partners boy on summer rock shoots. Youth model Marlin 22, water and lunch. It seemed to be a good start, days are long, weather usually good. A day trip will answer some of your questions, without undue stress on anyone. My daughters daypack for school made me cringe putting it in the truck more than once LOL.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM
Silver Member

High country hunting mule deer is my passion. I didn't get started until i was 18. I thought with my son i would get him started early. This isn't a picture of high country hunting but it is cross country in Montana. We put in a little over 4 miles that day. He is 3 years old.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

Cool pictures! I look forward to that! Side note, what kind of pack is that? Make and model?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 03-28-2012, 11:04 PM
SPONSOR

Fun pictures, Mulehunter!
www.no-off-season.com

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."