Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

When to dig in or get out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: When to dig in or get out

WOW talk about a flash back.... I also hunted up there last year and got caught in that same storm. It was my first solo hunt and I sure did learn a lot. I am hoping to be back this year! Great story and congrats on your buck!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:02 PM

Where were you hunting in that area ?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

My heart started racing just reading it! Probably because your story took me back-as I, also was caught in that storm during the second season!!
I encountered this area the day before(I came in, over another peak-7 miles away). Really liking what I saw I planned on returning the next day. On this day I came in from a different "angle"-cutting down my hike distance considerably-thank goodness too! There were good visible land marks in the area making it impossible to get lost(several peaks and a valley with a lake/creek below running parallel on my "side") . I was in 4 1/2 miles when I decided I should start working back due to the weather, within probably 20 minutes the snow was horizontal and all the landmarks were whited out!! No landmarks and my garmin 60 csx was not picking up a satellite signal! I left it on and kept moving in what I thought was the best direction. Finally hearing the telltale "bleep" I looked at my gps, it was on a signal long enough to see that I was not going in the right direction. Changing course, stay calm, keep moving...the signal was in and out. I managed to follow the gps out to where I marked the truck. I went on to harvest a 5x5 bull elk the next day and a mature 3x3 mulie on the last evening. It truly was an eye opener experience to witness the mountains at one of it's most unforgiving moments.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart2heart View Post
Where were you hunting in that area ?

I was hunting up high at timberline. Are you putting in this year?