Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

whats in your pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

whats in your pack

i'm planing a backpack hunt this fall somewhere in the north west i've pack hunted a few times in the va. but always been for a day or two and not very remote so would like to know what to carry and what not. figuring 4 to 5 days also i'm done with my GI sleeping bag any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: whats in your pack

For sleeping bag suggestion I would look at Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends and a good drybag to keep it dry
Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmarc View Post
i'm planing a backpack hunt this fall somewhere in the north west i've pack hunted a few times in the va. but always been for a day or two and not very remote so would like to know what to carry and what not. figuring 4 to 5 days also i'm done with my GI sleeping bag any suggestions?
ducmarc, good for you in heading west--you'll have a hoot. I would strongly urge you to check out rokslide.com. It is a website geared specifically for the backpack hunter. There are lots of experienced guys and gals over there along with a ton of information reference the question you asked.
Get the best equipment you can afford. Don't skimp. As Tim said, those both are great sleeping bags. A lot of backcountry equip is personal choice, some made by live and learn.
I'm a Stone Glacier Pack fan, and I've got numerous shelters. I currently use a Valandre sleeping bag and a thermarest pad. I've got my sleeping system to about 6 to 7 pounds and I do try and go lighter than most. Check out rokslide and let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 PM

Like mtnwrunner suggested check out rokslide.com. Very good info and reviews on gear. Also watch the classified section you could pick up some great gear at a great price. With my one man 3 season tent, 20 deg sleeping bag, and big agnes insul pad I'm at 6#6oz. Not the lightest or the best but I'm very comfortable with that setup. You'll also find out going ultra light weight is not cheap. Being comfortable can trump saving a few ounces. If you need specifics you can pm me.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the advice i normally carry parrchute cord skinnig knife,flint , chemical warmers, extra socks extra shirt and underware, toliet paper small medical kit, small flash light, small pan to cook with, and tape. used to carry water but was thinking about a purifier. food is a heavy what do u guys carry and how much for 4 days plus.my tent is heavy and notice a lot of talk about tarps instead is that a good idea?
Old 12-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Bronze Member

and a compass but might go to gps, map and binochlars
Old 12-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

Man forget a sleeping bag checkout a top quilt they weigh less than half a sleeping bag