Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

I have a pair of danner pronghorns. My first thought when I picked them up was how light they were. I have had them for five years now and would not trade them for anything.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM

I dont think you understood where I hunt.. No pumpkins where I go either. And like you I hunt at 6800 ft opening day. My partners and I have a spike camp on the ridge above Wolf creek. The south fork of Wolf creek is west of us. I have taken some nice Migratory s from up there. They are awesome!!! Yea like you said it is a pumpkin patch down on the road and mos those fellas never get more than a hundred yards from the road.
If you are familiar with the Bridge creek road then you must have seen our base camp called Owl Camp. It at about mile marker 5 on the left just past the gated spur road that ends at a helicopter landing. Drop in this season. We head up into the mountains on Thursday before the opening of the season.

If you want to see a pumpkin patch go to the Frost road Big buck unit.. Wow orange every where. But you know what if you dont have success up in the high country and dont want to eat a tag that place produces deer.. There are so many hunters there hiking with their rifles all you have to do is sit down and wait for them to push them to you.. I have taken 3 nice migratories out of there by just sitting and waiting so have my partners. We have take 5 deer out of there and been there 8 times...

I have only found ticks one time on deer I have taken in the high country. Like you said usually its not a problem.. My longest shot up there was 433 yards. Checked with a range finder.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Your spike camp is only a few miles from where I used to hunt on Abernathy ridge and slate lake area is only 1.5 miles from you.You have a good spot and not likely to see much competion from the road hunters.You are earning your deer the hard way and most can't get up there.I hunt these days north of winthrop in the chuwack,eight mile cr. I have been hunting with friends who have a little place on the chuwack about a mile from the forest service ranch at eightmile cr.road.It is 20 miles to where we jump off into the paysaten.Not as steep as where you hunt but still more than the road hunters want to do.I have seen few come out more than a mile and most never set and glass or even stay for a few hours.I can shoot 500' to 700' but for the last 3 seasons all my kills were under 200'.I have killed 5x5s the last 2 seasons.In 07 I got a 4x4.With no snow it is tough to bring them out so you have my admiration when you have to bring them down from that high.I would prefer the tobogan track over the dust trail,to follow down the mountain.I have some albums on picasa that I could send you an invite to see them if you send me your email.pcal
Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM

By far the most comfortable and best performing boot I've ever worn is the Zamberlan Steep GT. Just finished a climb of Kilimanjaro with them in March and they worked well all the way from the tropical jungle at 5,000 feet to over 19,000 feet with below 0 temps. This was a roundtrip climb of over 70 miles in 6 days and never had an issue.

They were also voted the best backpacking boot of 2010 by Backpacker Magazine.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?-p1000452.jpg  

Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

For my light, comfortable, everday, work, day hike, hang out in the woods boot I am curently on my third pair of Asolo 535. In over 50 years in the woods they are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They even beat my three pairs of White and Wesco's. My heavy mountain boot, now on my second pair is the La Sportiva Glacier. The are warm in the summer but waterproof and with a pair of gaiters dry in most hunting conditions. They take a while to break in, but my newest pair (two weeks old) are fitting nicely with only one hot spot on the first short hike.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Bronze Member

Scarpa Vibrams for summer best i have found and light weight water proof gore-tex
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes will suit my hunting needs well. I really like the softer sole as they seem very stable and compliant on uneven, rocky surfaces. I've got around 18 hiking miles on mine and they remain comfy, even though they are not yet broken-in.