Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Re: Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

Kenetrek
Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Danner pronghorn 1000gm. But looking for something for extreme cold weather, I'm thinking schnees extreme might fit the bill.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Has anyone checked out or used Montana boots made in Bozeman
Old 01-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Its hard to beat a pair of Danner Pronghorns. I have couple different pairs with different insulation weights. Day changes what boot I wear and which weight sock. Have NEVER leaked but I also use either Cabelas or Danner boot oil goo stuff on them EVERY day i use them. I take along some latex gloves and old rag and put these all in grocery sack and treat them each night i get back from day or hunting in mountains.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

La Sportiva. It Just depends what im doing for which one.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:46 AM
Bronze Member

After wearing out two pairs of Danner Acadias on the USMC 50,000 mile warranty, resoling them each two or three times, I absolutely swear by Danners.
I have since switched to different models, one insulated and one not, both waterproof (in theory, but I've never known ANY boots to be waterproof when I wear them).
I demand very aggressive soles and extreme comfort for the many, many miles I put on my feet every week, both at work and play.
I've tried Rocky, Bates, and many other names in boots, ranging in price from $75-300, and have never had a boot come close to the quality of Danners, with one exception - Carolinas.
I wear Carolina Steel toe Loggers for work, as the steel toe is required, and I haven't found a steel toe Danner. Yet.
But, that being said, I like the heel durability on the Carolinas - spike climbing a tree is murderous on boot heels (knocked one off halfway up the tree once...very unpleasant day), and these take the beating.
Also of note, when I'm fully geared up for either hunting or work, I weigh in just over 300# (my 275# self plus 30-50# of gear), and am beyond harsh on footwear.
No, not fat, just a big boy...and very hard on gear!
If you're not breaking things from time to time, you're not working/playing hard enough!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:51 PM

Hi quil. I have had simular experience with Danners. These guys touting Danner have never used them in steeps.I distroyed every pair I ever used within two days.I hunted the area you mentioned (little bridge)and it was too crowded for me.I hunt the Little Slate Crk,Midnight Mt.,Gardner mt. all the way up to Twisp Pass.Brutal and steep but seldom overrun with pumpkins like the Little Bridge.If you get up to 5700 ft before light and watch the saddles on opening day,you should be able to fill your tag.I have made shots of 700 yds on bedded bucks on sunny days but you need boots that will hold up.For the last ten yrs I have been using Asolo sasslongs.I have three pairs in various conditions.They are gortex but breath really well and have never gotten a blister or hot spot because of moisture.If you grease your feet with coconut oil and wear two pairs of socks,you need not tape your feet,either.Go to Asolo Sasslong Gore-Tex® Backpacking Boots (For Men) - Save 32% $169 . Note: These are all leather and nothing to melt and catch on fire if you get close to the campfire. Leather just is better for durability,too.I change boots daily and use a low energy drier so I never wear them more than every three days.If I am force to use one pair overnite, I use the drier when I come out. The gortex keeps them pretty dry but sweating isn't something that isn't going to happen when climbing verticle up a mile or more within 3 miles of the road. Ps.Thomson Ridge is like a major destination for half the methow valley on opening day.Down in the dnr sage brush is where the rest of the hunters are.The deer are buggy and full of parasites but ,if you don't mind spraying your trophy with raid before skinning him,you can get all you want.lol Give me high country and migrators everytime.I have never shot a muley with so much as a tick in +30yrs of hunting up there.Better tasting than alfalfa fed deer,too.The work is worth it and if you have to stow them in a ravine for a few days,its usually cold enough that they aren't going to spoil like they will down in the valley.luck,pcat