Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 02:39 AM

Re: Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

I find that the oakley boots are almost like wearing regular shoes.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:09 AM

The old style Danner Pronghorn GTX. On my second pair but I see they have added a bunch of rubberized stuff I don't care for. I got a steal on my new set too, found them on ebay in the box for $125 on my door.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

I probably have 10 pr. boots, I try to get a new pr, each yr. or to because I wear them out. I have Danner, Lowa, Merrel, different weights for conditions. I like light for early season antelope etc. M y favorite mountain boot is a Asolo G 5 mountaineer, crampon compatable boot. Later season for elk and muleys.OR gators, gore, and light alum, crampons, can cover steep muley country.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Silver Member

I was a LOWA fan until I tried Kennetreks.

Don't have many miles on the Kennetreks yet, but so far they are simply an awesome boot in terms of comfort and support. I got them for a mule deer hunt in the canyons of E Oregon.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th_point View Post
I was a LOWA fan until I tried Kennetreks.
I would try the Kenetreks but I need to have a non-Gortex boot. My feet sweat way too much in Gortex boots. So far my Lowa's are excellent. I wish I could find a comparable high top boot that's non-Gortex.
Gordon
Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamp54 View Post
I would try the Kenetreks but I need to have a non-Gortex boot. My feet sweat way too much in Gortex boots. So far my Lowa's are excellent. I wish I could find a comparable high top boot that's non-Gortex.
Gordon
Gordon,

Kenetrek sells the Mountain Safari for warm weather. It does not have the waterproof membrane.

KENETREK MOUNTAIN SAFARI-Kenetrek Boots

What I like about the Kentreks in the hinge that allows your ankle to flex. I always thought that Lowa made the most comfortable boot for my foot until I tried the Kentreks. The Lowas Sheephunters bunch up and pinch where my ankle flexes like most boots. The Kenetreks don't. Kenetrek should pay me for advertising this feature for them. Its the one thing that makes them standout compared to the rest, for my foot. Everything else seems comparable to a high quality boot. Other companies have hinges too, but check out how wide and deep the hinge is on the Kenetrek. Your foot/ankle may not care about the hinge/bunching but mine does. Amazing that Kentrek doesn't list this as a comfort feature.

Jason
Old 01-12-2011, 10:18 AM

I know the type of area you hunt as I hunt west of Twisp up Little Bridge creek and I have destroyed boots there.
I found Red Head boots to be tough enough to take the pounding I put them through.
I destroyed a pair of Danners in one week in the back country. Everything is vertical and lots of rocks and shale. I was in snow for the week and found the Danners were not cut out for the abuse I put them through.
Merrils are great boots from everyone I know who has them.