Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

Lowa Banff w/ montbell stretch gaiters ,i don't care for tall boots they seem to wear me out faster.
Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Lowa banff pro. So far these are my favorite. I don't use the gortex lined boots since they make my feet sweat too much when hiking. I treat the leather with a good water repellant and have had no problems even in snow.

Gordon
Old 06-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Bronze Member

Miendl Makalu Pros
Old 06-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Gold Member

The April/May issue of Eastman's Hunting Journal did a great review on boots (starts on page 50). The mfg's. covered were: Cabela's/Meindl, Hanwag, Kenetrek, La Sportiva, Lowa, Scarpa & Zamberlan. It went into a lot of detail regarding different materials used, along with pros & cons on each. It covered weight, waterproofing, midsole, insulation & price. Ratings were given for Comfort & Fit; Break-in Required; Design; and Durability. There were no good boots vs. poor boots. Some excelled in certain areas, while others brought unique abilities of there own.

Bottom line: if your looking at boots north of $300 - you are probably getting a top quality boot. At that point, it all comes down to intended use, fit & personal preference. Meindl, Schnees, Kenetrek and Hanwag are fantastic boots that I have had personal experience with - so I can recommend them. These are serious boots for high alpine type hunts. Prowl around on the internet and be patient. My current boot is the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme that I picked up on close-out on the internet for a little over $200!

For my summer jaunts in the AZ desert, I use an uninsulated pair of military Belleville's. I would love a pair of Meindl's Desert Fox - but they are not sold in the US. You can find them on eBay in the UK, but you end up spending more on shipping than on the boot itself.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

These probably do not compare with some mentioned on this thread. But I am so satisfies I waned to comment. I just ordered my second pair of Cabela's "White Tail Exreme's" They come in Camo or brown. They are 1200 gr thinsulate, Gortex, and sentlock. I have never spent big bucks on boots, maybe I should , but for $165 these are the lightest, warmest, most comfortable boot I have ever owned. I got two years of hard wear out of them and found myself wearing them to work in too. They are just that light and comfortable.

http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/pod/0026668.shtml

Jeff
Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
I get all my boots from Cabelas..the best boot is made in Germany called MEINDL.
They just dont die...I have a lot of damage to my rt foot and this boot has never damaged my
Graft they are like slippers, my Insurance co buys them for me....I even use them in winter and my feet never get cold. never had a blister too!

my ankle has been rebuilt alot.do they have good ankle support?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Silver Member

i use danner ft lewis uninsulated.i looked at cabelas but they dont have very many tall uninsulated boots.i white snow pacs for real cold weather.i just cant see buying a pair of boots that wont get used