Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Bronze Member

Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

Out in the back country while hiking around in search of the trophy ,What do you wear for Boots,or hikers ? I wore a pair of Merrals for 16 years up on the high cascade mountains un till last year they finally fell apart around the sole .So i would like to get another pair but would like to see what everyone else is wearing !
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Whats your favorite Boot to wear ?

Early season I wear Asics wresteling shoes for stalking, or Danner hiking boots. Its easier to be quiet when the woods are dry as a popcorn fart.
Mid season I wear my old Hawthorn firefighting boots (the new Hawthorns suck) or Whites Packers if Im on a horse. When I used to work on the ranch Id wear my Olathe cowboy boots (Im pertty sure my spurs were permanently attached by some sort of weird growth) but the noise of the spurs and lack of ankle support put a stop to that pretty darn quick
And late season if its snowing and nasty I wear Whites snow pacs with Schnees liners. Ive found its the best cold weather combo for me. Aside from the wrestling shoes and hiker's all are greased with Obenaughs.
For me it all depends on the time of year, and the terrain I hunt. I dont have alot of $, but I buy the best I can afford because they last, and are dependable, even with what I put em thru.
Wow. That was alot longer winded than I planned. Sorry.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

Lowa sheep hunters for cold weather

Kenetreks and Meindls for summer and fall.

These are a pretty serious back country style boot. So it really depends on what you intend to be doing in them.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Bronze Member

I always wore my Merrals for early hunts up high on the Cascades, And then i have Danner pronghorns for just plain ol' hunting like when it rains or what not ! But For serious weather i us Danner Canadians and Sorals pac boot, and to throw around in the mix i have Danner Matterhorns also ... but i very seldom wear them.Oh ,,and i still have a couple of Leg boots that i had in the Army that i never wear anymore !
Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 AM
Silver Member

White's Smokejumpers with 10" tops and the celastic toe cap when ever I'm in the woods and the snows not too deep. Combined with Rhoner Trekker socks they are pretty hard to beat. When the snow starts to get deep I've got White's Pacs that go on.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Kenetrek. Best boot I have ever worn, and I have tried alot. I wear the uninsulated ones. Would like to get the insulated ones for when it is really cold.

You have to be willing to spend $350.

Steve
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

I get all my boots from Cabelas..the best boot is made in Germany called MEINDL.
They just dont die...I have a lot of damage to my rt foot and this boot has never damaged my
Graft they are like slippers, my Insurance co buys them for me....I even use them in winter and my feet never get cold. never had a blister too!