Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What's the longest you stayed out ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What's the longest you stayed out ?

92 days on the coraville reservoir,
just me and my minie bike raided other camp sites for food and beverage,
by day chased around the beach but nite time sucked face with the camp coddies.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

4 days in Gunnison Colorado . after reading everyones post I realize we did just about everything the hard and cheep way. The first trip up into the MTNS was to carry all of the water and food along with some extra ammo to the camp site . Then we went back into town and rented a hotel and slept like babies . We got up and packed our back packs full again but this time we had to carry our rifles along as well . Our food consisted of ramen noodles patooie patt patt tooie . I HATE EM NOW !! Day after day we eat those noodles. I eventually ran out of water and decided to take and boil some from the nearest and only stream around but it made me sick I think I got beaver fever I will never forget the trip and would love to do it all over again ! Didn't get a shot but spotted a very nice 6x6 in a meadow at the foot of the MTN , the day before the hunt started . The next day my dad shot at a nice but smaller bull at the far end of the same canyon while the cows were coming out were I had seen the big bull once his gun went off my Elk hit the dark timber. In the end I went home with a $500.00 peace of useless paper and an experience that will last a life time I LOVE hunting....

BigBuck
Old 05-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

hunted gunny myself for 5 years,
hung out back below porquepine.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

Have backpacked and hunted about every ridge through there from sheep mtn through curecanti pass, porcupine, haystack, on through the no name hills to west elk peak. And for about 12 miles north and south of that line.Many years ago would spend 2-3 weeks at a time out of a backpack up there.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Well if you count the days packing in on horses and packing out, 11 days. Wish work hadnt gotten in the way of a good time, or Id still be there

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

40 days sefl sustained out of a canoe followed directly with 24 days out of a back pack with 2 food re rations in there. Its my job I work for a US company called NOLS. spend over 5 months a year in the field for a months each time at the minimum. the rest fo the year a spend hunting skiing mountaineering paragliding rock climbing at the river practicing shooting or in the reloading room
girlfriend is very understanding
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

5 days hiking along the shorline of Lake Superior in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Michigan and a 3 more days on Grand Island in Munising...communing with the bear and the blueberries...back was sore the first four days from bending over every 5 minutes to pick blueberries aong the cliffs...pretty laid back.

Matt