Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What's the longest you stayed out ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 01:23 AM

Re: What's the longest you stayed out ?

I stayed out several years ago for 34 days and lived out of my pack the entire time. I brought broken down MRE entrees, tuna pouches, single serving drink mixes, small seasoning kit, alcohol stoves large bottle of 70% alcohol, spork, etc.

I supplemented my packed in food stuffs with squirrel and rabbits taken in traps I built. I have never been so relaxed since.

Ulimately I took an Elk and a deer on the third to the last day...essentially took my rifle for a walk. A great trip it was.

Last edited by glocker21; 12-27-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
2 months

didnt live off of a backpack because didnt have one. every now and then would sneak to house during night for few hours to worm up and back in woods before sunrise.

after that walked 4 days nonstop to free territory with almost no food.

back when i was 10.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell us a little about this expierence you went through please sounds rough .
Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Me and a buddy used to pack into the Bob Marshal every year during December or first of January for a week of Lion hunting. Here's the kicker, we loaded the largest pack baskets we could buy with traps and snares and put Marten traps out on the way in and in the local camp area, packs started out 125lbs with four awesome lion hounds leading the way. We ate what ever came up, the best was a fresh lion killed deer and grouse, I had one hound that loved finding grouse. We packed a tarp for a leanto, bag, matches, axes, frying pan and seasonings. I wouldn't trade those near freezing to death experiences for anything.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Me and a buddy used to pack into the Bob Marshal every year during December or first of January for a week of Lion hunting. Here's the kicker, we loaded the largest pack baskets we could buy with traps and snares and put Marten traps out on the way in and in the local camp area, packs started out 125lbs with four awesome lion hounds leading the way. We ate what ever came up, the best was a fresh lion killed deer and grouse, I had one hound that loved finding grouse. We packed a tarp for a leanto, bag, matches, axes, frying pan and seasonings. I wouldn't trade those near freezing to death experiences for anything.
Having packed into the Bob the past two Novembers, I can only imagine what it's like later in the year...
Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Really enjoy reading this thread. Those trips you guys comment sound awesome to me, music to my ears, trips to be dreamed of for many nights. Congrats to all of you, and keep them stories coming.
My special respect for the solo backpack hunters that have made trips for many days out: that needs knowledge, skills, strength, and a very clear mind, determination and character. I admire that. That is the type of hunting I want to do in the future. Keep it up guys!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

About a week +or- you don't want to follow LTLR unless you're in great shape !!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

I am a wimp compared to you guys. But I do have a friend in Jackson Wyoming, every year she takes off in May and hikes back into the thorofare region and stays there usually til September, I believe she makes 2 trips back to Jackson for supplies. But the last time I talked to her she was going to try this year to live completely off the land. As far as protecting from grizzlies I know she carries a air horn and I think she carries bear spray. She kinda like a modern day female grizzly adams. I would like to try it, but I have this little back problem that prevents me from doing alot of things I use to do and have to take pain pills daily just to survive. The stories are great.
Chuck