Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What's the longest you stayed out ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

What's the longest you stayed out ?

Out of curiousity -what's the longest amount of time you stayed in the wilderness living out of a backpack ?
What season ?
And what equipment did you have with you ?

Myself only two nights -sure ain't much compared to some guys i've read about.

I've did two days/nights many times in the late spring summer early fall.
I have an eberlestock x-1 pack [2,100 cu.in.] -big agnes insulated inflatable pad -rei 40* down bag -equinox 8x10 ultralight tarp -titanium stove and cup -mountain house freeze dried meals plus jerky trail-mix -coffee.

I plan on doing some 3-4 nighters when i get more cold weather gear ,ultralight backpacking equipment sure isn't cheap.
I need -bigger pack -kifaru siwash -$444
western mountaineering versalite bag long $425
tent msr -twin sisters $159 thanks shortshooter.
lightweight hiing poles $100 --$1,130ish mounts up quick...
Old 08-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What's the longest you stayed out ?

21 days on a fly-in sheep hunt in Alaska in 1979 during the first three weeks in September. Did a food drop 17 miles from our landing strip on the flight in. Didn't have a very great tent for mountain camping. The first night the wind blew our tent down on us. We never did find some of our tent stakes after that blow. It was a 4-person Eureka Timberland tent, if I recall correctly. We walked more than 100 mountain miles on this hunt, carrying back packs that weighed from 50 to 65 lbs. We ran into a guide and his client that told us he'd hunted that area for the prior 18 years and had never encountered another hunter... we were the first ones. The guide used horses to access that area. We walked in. Saw a dandy ram in that area but we were bowhunting at the time and never got close enough for a shot. Could have killed him easily with our rifle. I was 24 yrs old then and lost about 10 lbs during that hunt. The guy I went with was bigger than me and he lost closer to 15 lbs. When we took our first shower, we both initially concluded that our knees and ankles were swollen. Turns out they weren't swollen, we'd just burned away fat and muscle in the surrounding leg areas. First thing we ordered at the restaurant after we got out was a blueberry pie. We split it in half and finished it off.

No fancy hiking poles back then. I still use the same Trailwise backpack that I did on that hunt, but with an improved belt and shoulder harness from Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage, Alaska. Much better boots are available now than were available back then also. Good boots are critical if you're going to cover alot of ground. A good tent, sleeping bag, and rain gear are also mandatory.

I was only 24 at that time and had the energy and stamina of youth on my side. I wouldn't attempt the same type of hunt today. But I still backpack hunt on an annual basis now. My boots, socks, clothing, rain gear, and tent are all much improved from what I had in 79. LED flashlights and lighter cookstoves are other examples of improved gear.

We finally shot a calf caribou for food at the end of that hunt with a rifle. That fresh meat was a welcome relief to our diet. We saw a number of legal rams but never killed one with an arrow.

Last edited by phorwath; 08-17-2008 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

four days was about my limit, if i had to carry everything...two guys can split the load and do 5-6 days real easy. food is usually the deciding factor so if you kill something or scrounge something you can stretch it a lot. i remeber killing a couple nice trout in a stream with stick that kept me out another day once. once i was picking up trash from a camp of horse backers and found two potatoes still buried under the coals of their fire. YUM.....even without butter and sour cream! i am getting geared up for and early sept high country mulie hunt with my son. gathering gear and looking into a packer.....may get a goat! thinking about that or a lamma...any thoughts on these ideas.......my knees just arent up for packing much of a load but i can cover a lot of ground on "empty"...AJ
Old 08-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

dogdinger,

I'd go with he goat over the llama. in fact 2 well trained, experienced goats... 60 to 80#s each and they just tag along.

A downer would be, or maybe not be, may be that they attract some carnivores.

If I recall correctly $1K will fully outfit you with two of 'em.

i looked into it pretty seriously for this year but then things changed.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

I've done 9 days before, planning on doing a trip substantially longer this summer if everything comes together
Old 08-17-2008, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Ol Mike,

Think I'll do a 3-4 day trip in the St. Joe or Clearwater area. It's been hot and dry up here in N. Idaho this summer.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Silver Member

8 days in Newzealands southern alps . Choppered in and hiked from our base camp each day using flycamps higher up and eating meat fro what we had shot and a few trout out of the rivers never went hungry on that trip .
Would not worry about the poles either just more crap to carry, but the goats are a great idea if you get hungry you could just eat 1 of those.

JAWZ