Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What are you doing to get ready for backpack hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 09:20 AM
Gold Member

Re: What are you doing to get ready for backpack hunting

Lots of time shooting the bow right now, and practicing angles shots on 3-D targets at between-pin yardages... 37, 53, 46, etc.

I'm working out 6 days a week, run, bike or hike with a weighted pack at first light, and then weights on my lunch break. Shoot in the evenings after the kids are in bed.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:45 PM

I've been doing squats but it sounds like I should be loading up the backpack instead! In my case my hunt is not backpacking but I'm hoping to help a buddy haul out some elk meat on his hunt in rough country.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevoeph View Post
I've been doing squats but it sounds like I should be loading up the backpack instead! In my case my hunt is not backpacking but I'm hoping to help a buddy haul out some elk meat on his hunt in rough country.
I think anything helps but I like the weighted pack on natural terrain because in the past I felt ready because I had been using the elliptical or P90x only to find out that I wasn't as ready as I had hoped to be so this year I am adding the weighted pack hike to my plan. Hope it works. I know each trip is getting easier and I'm also getting my boots broken in
Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 AM

I do a routine that basically is aerobic one day and strength/endurance the next day. Rest as you need to. It includes long runs (22km at its peak) and once a week at least, a full backpack ruck hike. I live in the "bush" so my training is actually were I hunt as well.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:44 PM

Started walking flat ground with boots and 55 lbs backpack 1 to 3 miles. Then mountain bike time after each walk. Rides are 5 to 10 miles to get the legs pumped up again. Takes about 40 minutes to 1 hour and a half depending on the combination used.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:25 PM

I start wearing ankle weights around the house in the spring of the year then while mowing the yard. Then I move up to 20 lbs in the backpack then finally 35-40 lbs while mowing the yard. Throw in a few trips to mountain lakes during the summer and viola.
By the way the wife and family know I am crazy because I leave a perfectly good riding mower sit while I mow 2 acres of grass on a weekly basis.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

Walk as much as I can with intervals of lunges and at least once week take a hike at a near by mountain that has an elevation of about 1000 ft. Also, go to the range once a week and shoot the intended rifle to be used for the trip.