Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

What are you doing to get ready for backpack hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

What are you doing to get ready for backpack hunting

Hunting season is getting close and I am curious to know what the rest of you are doing to prepare. Below is what I have doing.

At this time of year I all but quit shooting my rifles and focus primarily on shooting my bow. I'm shooting every day now making my equipment and my self are dialed and trying go get my muscle memory rock solid. I am also hiking with a loaded pack about 2 miles up a steep hill and 2 miles back 3 days a week. I try do something physical at least 2other days in the week.

I this isn't as hard core as some guys but it sure seams to give me a head start

Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: What are you doing to get ready for backpack hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyodog View Post
Hunting season is getting close and I am curious to know what the rest of you are doing to prepare.
I have stopped all physical activity and spend hours every night watching hunting videos on YouTube.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Bronze Member

Ive been hiking up a steep hill about 3 times a week (about a mile in distance and about 600 foot climb in elevation) and playing basketball 1 night a week. Trying to lose this spare tire ive been carrying around lol
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Fill a few jugs with water and put them in your pack. I fill 20oz bottles and place them in small compartments of my pack. I fill 1/2 gallon jugs and place them in bottom fanny pack detachable section. I fill 2 gallon jugs with water and put them in the main compartment of my pack. I use it on walks/hikes and around the yard doing things. Trying to train my muscles in my back for the weight!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 08-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member

Hiking the local Colorado Hills with a 50 lb bag of sand in my pack.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Just got back from a hike with a 50+pound pack. GPS showed 3.82 miles and a 863 vertical feet gain. Very rocky and my feet hurt from the down hill stretch coming home but I know its going to be worth it.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Walking/hiking since the beginning of the year. Attempting to simulate the conditions by training on hills or whatever inclines I have available. Going to begin in the near future with weighted pack, however don't want to start to soon. This 61 year old body does not take well to increased stress. Old is not fun.