Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

View Poll Results: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?
Bivy 33 10.89%
Tarp 36 11.88%
Bivy/Tarp combo 44 14.52%
3 season double wall tent 56 18.48%
3 season single wall tent 68 22.44%
4 season tent 49 16.17%
Tipi 17 5.61%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

Us army gortex bivy cover.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

I use a single wall 4-season tent (Integral Designs MK 2 Lite). Bomber shelter, and weighs less than 5 lbs.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:05 PM

8'x10' tarp

or

Go-lite Shangri-la 3 tepee tent (outer shell only)
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM

I'm not sure what you would call this thing, a tipi or a tent but it has worked well for me the last few years
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?-image.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Bronze Member

This is my go to tent currently I really like how well it holds up and the large vestibule is very nice. I use a chunk of Tyvec for under it.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?-tent.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

I have been using tarps with an inner shell of those insulated reflective survival blankets. I have 2 army wool blankets for ground cover which protect against conduction.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 AM

We use an Asolo hawk for the rainy season, a basha/ bivie for the times we are mobile (i.e. mountain hunting), and make a lean-to when winter hunting.
The Asolo is a light three person/three season tent which seems to hold up in bad conditions. Had it for ten years and still going strong. weighs about 4 pounds all in. We split it up between us and barely notice it's there.