Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting

View Poll Results: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?
Bivy 33 11.04%
Tarp 35 11.71%
Bivy/Tarp combo 42 14.05%
3 season double wall tent 55 18.39%
3 season single wall tent 68 22.74%
4 season tent 49 16.39%
Tipi 17 5.69%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle season?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 PM

Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

I have a Outdoor Reserch advanced bivy that I have used during a early season blizzard for 2 days without getting out. I used a tree and a small tarp to help out. My sleeping bag is down and I was really worried about getting wet but I made it through. I hope to never have to do that again. Now I usually use a double wall 3 season tent. It is nice to be able to move around. I will say that OR makes a really great bivy.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: What type of shelter do you use most often for backpack hunting during rifle seas

I voted 4-season tent.

Like others have posted, I too have sleep apnea. That notwithstanding, I've spent enough time in the mountains that 1) if I'm backpack hunting and 2) there's a chance for snow ..... I don't mess around with less than snow-worthy sleeping arrangements.

In my experience, a bivy just isn't my cup 'o tea. I had a very nice Integral Designs Unishelter and have used other smaller bivy's, but in the end it got sold after a couple uses. Now, I use my Integral Designs MK2 XL single-wall tent with which they did some awesome customizing for me. If it's warm weather I use my Henry Shires TarpTent "Cloudburst II" UL tent, but that's unusual for fall in the mountains....

Incidentally, I don't sleep nearly as well without my CPAP and *always* miss it (can't believe I actually said that), but I can catch 'cat-naps' here and there to make up the overnight loss(es).
Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

Since you didn't put "hotel" or "camper" in the options I went with tepee. I don't backpack hunt. At one time we used a camper, but lately usually we just leave three hours before sun up or use the occasional hotel.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

I go out in the morning with my backpack and 4x4 and am back at night with my backpack 4x4 and critter. Hunting it up in a RV...gotta love living in Idaho
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

My vote was for a bivy/tarp combo. I use an Integral Designs Sildome tarp tent and an Integral Designs Bugaboo bivy. All I have to do is switch out my sleeping bags and I can sleep comfortably year around. I've used this combo during two 2nd rifle season elk hunts in CO and a couple of early and late season deer hunts in OK and have slept well. I have recently added a Therm-A-Rest Ultra Lite cot which adds even more comfort to the combo. Total weight even with my heaviest sleeping bag is still under 8lbs.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM

The Sierra Designs Clip Flaslight 2 tent is a classic ultralight 2 person tent which has been a lightweight standard for a very long time. Small light weight and very quick to assemble.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

I didn't vote because you don't have the best shelter, a hammock. The older I get the more I appreciate not sleeping on the ground, or should i say on a rock. If I'm not in base camp with a wall tent and a cot, I'm in a hammock. Most comfortable light weight outdoor shelter there is. And this comes from a person with a lot of experience as all my hunting is done while camping and backpacking.