Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Backpack Hunting


Reply

What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carey, Idaho
Posts: 982
Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

However, I do think this material is puncture proof enough for my use. All my tents have floors, if not an additional 'floor saver' underneath and I spend some time making sure that nothing under the tent will damage the floor. Your situation may vary... Sounds like you end up on the rocks, in which case this pad may not be for you. I suppose if we were real men, we'd cut some pine boughs and make a bed out of those, huh?

Yeah, well as Toby Keith says, "I ain't as good as I once was...." I'll pass on the pine bed.
I'm thinking of going with the light weight thermarests and a tyvek groundsheet. That should do it with the additon of a tent floor. That weight and comfort looks real attractive.

Randy
__________________
"Every man has a purpose---------mine is to be behind a rifle.........."

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,456
Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

It is certainly very comfortable. All three of my Neo Airs have been...to the point that within a couple of minutes of lying on them for the first time just to see what they feel like, I realize that I'm starting to doze off.

It does have the 'crinkly' material, but so does the top of the Neo Air All Season and though I thought that would not work well for me initially, I've found it's not an issue.

One thing about the Trekker and All-Season--both of mine, though supposed to be 20" x 72", are actually 75" long. The XLite appears to actually be 72" long. So, if you are a bit taller than six foot, that 75" length of the other two would be nice.
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 149
Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

I seconde chad. Have one, it is the best I have used. Two years ago the ground ended up forming icicles ground up. Never got wet or cold if you can stay on top of it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 464
Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

Randy,
look at exped. I have the downmat ul7 and the regular ul7. R value of 6 on the ul downmat, 3" thick and 20 oz. You can also purchase a slip cover from exped. I am trying that out tonight along with my new quilt and hilleberg....we will see if my choices are sound. I will report back in a few days.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carey, Idaho
Posts: 982
Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmalloy View Post
Randy,
look at exped. I have the downmat ul7 and the regular ul7. R value of 6 on the ul downmat, 3" thick and 20 oz. You can also purchase a slip cover from exped. I am trying that out tonight along with my new quilt and hilleberg....we will see if my choices are sound. I will report back in a few days.
Thomas, I've pretty much got it narrowed down between the exped and the neoair.
I stopped into one of our local backpacking stores about a week ago and looked at the neoair x lite. I kinda liked it but man, is it noisy. I'm not sure I could sleep on it.
I did talk to Tim and I am going to go with one of his quilts. Let me know what you think of it and I see you got a hilleberg?? You lucky devil---which one did you go with and why??? I've been looking at that soulo. Kurt Raciot at Stone Glacier packs uses that one quite extensively and he ought know as he is a mountain hunting stud and he has used about everything. The weights alittle heavy for me but its bombproof.

Randy
__________________
"Every man has a purpose---------mine is to be behind a rifle.........."

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2013, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,456
Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
Thomas, I've pretty much got it narrowed down between the exped and the neoair.
I stopped into one of our local backpacking stores about a week ago and looked at the neoair x lite. I kinda liked it but man, is it noisy. I'm not sure I could sleep on it.
I did talk to Tim and I am going to go with one of his quilts. Let me know what you think of it and I see you got a hilleberg?? You lucky devil---which one did you go with and why??? I've been looking at that soulo. Kurt Raciot at Stone Glacier packs uses that one quite extensively and he ought know as he is a mountain hunting stud and he has used about everything. The weights alittle heavy for me but its bombproof.

Randy
I thought the Neo Air All Season might be too noisy as I tend to be a light sleeper, but I had no issues with it. The Xlite is about the same. And, it's way lighter than the Expeds. I don't care for the longitudinal air chambers of the Expeds. They seem to roll up on me from side to side an don't seem stable, unlike the Neo Airs... And take into account the warrantys as well. The Expeds are also significantly heavier and much larger when packed than the Neo Airs. Each of my Neo Airs fit in this 3.75" x 10" stuffsack that Thermarest makes separately: http://www.altrec.com/thermarest/fas...Fep7QgodAWwAWQ
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carey, Idaho
Posts: 982
Re: What lightweight sleeping pad do you use during rifle season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
I thought the Neo Air All Season might be too noisy as I tend to be a light sleeper, but I had no issues with it. The Xlite is about the same. And, it's way lighter than the Expeds. I don't care for the longitudinal air chambers of the Expeds. They seem to roll up on me from side to side an don't seem stable, unlike the Neo Airs... And take into account the warrantys as well. The Expeds are also significantly heavier and much larger when packed than the Neo Airs. Each of my Neo Airs fit in this 3.75" x 10" stuffsack that Thermarest makes separately: Thermarest Fast and Light Stuff Sack - FREE SHIPPING
Well then, the problems solved---I'll just have to buy both.

Randy
__________________
"Every man has a purpose---------mine is to be behind a rifle.........."

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.11%
112 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.24%
207 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.99%
128 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 47.66%
407 Votes
Total Votes: 854
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC